Would you prefer to live in Boise or Salt Lake?

Thinker

A job I'm interviewing for would give me the choice to live in Boise or Salt Lake City. I've only spent minimal time in each one.

Give up the pros and cons of them....

To start things off:

they look about equidistant from City of Rocks.

Boise has the Black Cliffs...what does SLC have that's similar?

Sawtooths! vs Wasatch?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The city is 2.5 hours from SLC and 4 hours from Boise... but Boise is closer to the sawtooths which I think is better… I don’t know if the sawtooths and Wasatch are really comparable… (apples and oranges?).

Boise would be my pick...

Kegs or polygamy... you decide...

They both have shitty traffic

SLC has Big Cottonwood, Little Cottonwood > Boise w/ Black Cliffs

Boise has excellent whitewater

SLC has better skiiing

Alcohol laws are really weird in SLC, but you can work around them if you live there.

Boise has a better art/music scene (Built to Spill!)

SLC has more 'culture': opera, theatre, etc.

SLC has Mark Twight.

SLC has Grivel, Black Diamond, and a thousand other gear manufacturers, so you're more likely to find gear deals.

Idaho will offer more solitude, wilderness, wolves and grizzlys, Utah will offer crowds, the vacationing elite, and the Beautiful People.

I'm an Idaho guy, and I always dream of going back.

I'd go Salt Lake if

* you were really into skiing

* you were into good rock climbing, mostly sport near town

* you wanted to have good desert options closer, like Indian Creek and Moab for long weekends

* you can survive 3.2 beer

* you are already married and dont have to worry about dating.

* you wanted closer access to Wind Rivers and Tetons

I'd choose Boise if

* you wanted closer access to Sawtooths

* you wanted a slightly "smaller town" feel

* you didnt like the pervasive Mormon brainwashed culture of SLC

* you wanted to get to the Cascades every so often ("shorter" drive, compare what like 6 hours to 10 hours?)

SLC is AMAZING. In my opinion there is NO comparison in climbing between SLC area and boise area. Within 1 hour of SLC you have tons of granite, quartzite, limestone and other types of rock, plus towers, tetons, wind-rivers, rockies close.

HOWEVER, after living in Utah for a year and a half, and dealing with the mormon cult bullshit, boise would be my choice for ease of living hands down. bigdrink.gif

HOWEVER, after living in Utah for a year and a half, and dealing with the mormon cult bullshit, boise would be my choice for ease of living hands down. bigdrink.gif

Expound please. (PM if you think that's more appropriate) I lived in Idaho Falls for a few months and wasn't bothered by it, though my friends with children in school seemed distraught over it.

Did you live IN SLC?

Yeah, I think the choice is pretty clear for pure outdoors quality - go with SLC. But the mormons may weird you out. I've spent a lot of time with family near SLC, and I also spent a week in LCC earlier this fall, and a lot of people I met complained about the mormon culture.

But the Wasatch is not alpine climbing, and there isn't a lot of alpine rock close to town, it mostly cragging. Actually maybe the choice isn't so clear. But you can get Polygamy Porter in Utah!! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

You can have 10 beers at once and 45 little beers runnig around just waiting to grow up to become full blown drinking beers.

Hey Thinker, I have lived in SLC before, but never lived in Boise, been there though. I myself would choose SLC. The snow boarding out there rocks, great rock climbing, more diverse surrounding enviornment (deserts and alpine nearby), great mountain biking. Pretty whitebread city though, yeah them morom women maybe hot, but I don't believe they are any hotter there than other areas or any wilder. SLC seemed to get some decent music there, when I was there. There use to be all kinds of cultural festivals happening all the time that were always fun to go to. The state of Utah is one of my favorite states, next to WA. As for the mormon, there is a enough jack moroms and non-mormons to keep it interesting.

I don't know about SLC, but Boise gets STINKY hot in the summer and everything around town turns lovely shades of brown. At least that's what it looked like from the freeway in August, and one of my buddies here grew up in Boise and seemed to verify that assessment. Just one factor to consider. I was in St. George, UT this spring, not really that close to SLC, but I have to say the women were pretty hot down that way.

Of course they're hot, they're all trying to bag husbands by the time they're 18. And the mormons are pretty bad in Boise too to tell you the truth. My wife grew up there and during college returned for the summers. At one point her coworkers dubbed her an old maid at the ripe old age of 22.

The Salty Load: no more than 4 hours from a head-spinning variety of world-class rock climbing, some decent neighborhoods, Patagucci outlet, one independent theatre/movie store, one slayingly awesome library across the street from a mighty tasty coffee roaster (that serves tasty pastries & food to boot), and supposedly some decent snow nearby somewhere.

Boise: much further from the rock climbing (and anything else), but is home to the BEST grocery store ever (Boise Co-op -- must be experienced), which is across the parking lot from an excellent bakery/coffee joint, and ... someone come to Boise's rescue, here!

From your query I assume that you are more interested in rock climbing than alpine climbing. If this assumption is true (and your decision is based primarily on climbing), your choice is easy: SLC. As Dr. Flash provided, there is no better location in the mountain west providing a high-quality, jaw-dropping array of rock climbing locations.

I wouldn't be concerned with the Mormon influences. The valley has become less provincial and relatively cosmopolitan in the last thirty years. Back in the mid-seventies, an entirely different cultural environment left this climber feeling as if he'd landed on another planet...

Wowwww wait a sec here. Don't you guys realize Boise also has a plethora of Mormons? Based on culture alone I'd say SLC is more diverse. A much larger outdoor non-moron contingent there as well.

Most of the Motards you meet will be pretty nice--and they will provide an endless source of amusement and inside jokes.

Gaper Jeffey

fka Peter Priesthood

The sum total of my SLC experience is less than a week but even in that short time I formed a clear impression that the state of Utah is very much under the thumb of the Mormon Church. I don't think I'd be happy for long in a place so influenced by one religion. Your mileage may of course vary.

I don't, BTW, mean just the weird liquor laws; hell, Washington has weird liquor laws. It was rather lots of little things that all added up.