Wilderness/climbing health care opportunities?

Chad_A

I know it's a stretch, but I need to ask. What ideas, here in the PNW, do you all have for an RN looking to exploit his skills in the outdoors? I know that there's rescue, and what-not, but I don't know how to approach it; I also know that there's some climbers on this board that work up at Hood, and some of the other areas. In the next month, I'll end up ACLS certified through my job, so that'll be out of the way. I'm just looking for ideas; I know there's North Country EMS. What other outfits are there that I could apply myself to (note: I'm willing to go back to school.)

I'd thought about going to NOLS, but that, from what I know, lends itself more to guiding, and well, I don't want to guide (or, does NOLS offer some kind of outdoor rescue/EMS certification?) I want to apply my skills in an outdoor/climbing environment. Thanks for any input.

One final note: for those who volunteer/work at Hood, NCEMS, etc, etc, please feel free to provide a description of what the job descriptions are, and the range of skills necessary, and....well, anything else you care to say about it.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you thinking about teaching for NOLS or taking a NOLS class? NOLS is not guide oriented; it just turns out that the depth and thoroughness of their curriculum attracts some individuals interested in taking the initial steps towards guiding...

Additionally, it will depend on who you work for, but some groups will recognize and credit your RN status but will still require you to complete a WFR and WEMT.

No, haha, certainly not teaching for NOLS; I was thinking of using NOLS to get a type of certification to use toward my RN license, to get me into opportunities for the outdoors.

Thanks for setting me straight on the orientations of NOLS; WFR and the WEMT would probably benefit me the most, as of this point, I'd imagine.

No, haha, certainly not teaching for NOLS; I was thinking of using NOLS to get a type of certification to use toward my RN license, to get me into opportunities for the outdoors.

Thanks for setting me straight on the orientations of NOLS; WFR and the WEMT would probably benefit me the most, as of this point, I'd imagine.

I would say look into whether or not those certs would count towards your RN... you never know. However... regardless of whether or not they count I think anyone serious about climbing should complete and keep current a WRT cert... especially if you dabble in the backcountry.

Your first aid kit weight will roughly double after you complete one.

Ski Patrols are always interested in people with medical experience. It's outdoors, and if your a Nordic Patroller, backcountry. www.nsp.org

Damn, have to learn how to ski blush.gif But that's on my list for this upcoming season...

Many patrols have openings for "auxiliary" or similar type positions working in the first aid room, minimal skiing skills required.

I've been doing a simular search over the past few months and heres for the most part what it comes down too. The only place that really has active medical personell getting paid to do rescues and use their medical skills on a regular basis that I can find are military. The rest are mostly volunteer. There are very few paid search and rescue organizations in the US and they are highly competitive. Yes there is ski patrol or perhaps you could be medical staff for a sheriffs department search and rescue but that would only be when they had a rescue. It seems even the physicians who do research for high altitude at Denali or Everest are volunteers or have small grants to help cover expenses during the climbing season, or they take what little the patients they help are willing and able to offer. The suggestions I've been given from Docs who work in the field is to work ER or a simular oriented field that will allow for you to take time off for a few months a year if needs be to follow your passion. And of course first off you have to get into the loop (still working on that one).

I have alittle input. I have been an ER-RN for 6-7 years and a paramedic before that.. I have been trying to get a break in utilizing my skills and have adventure as well..I am assuming you are a new Rn, which means you are prob wanting to see some greenbacks.. The long and short of it is as Blakej just said..No money(or very little) to be had doing adventure medicine.. It's most volunteering.. With that said.. Try going to the wilderness medical confrences.You can met alot of the top people who do this..

mostly doc's and they get paid for speaking, teaching, grants for research, etc..They sometimes need assistants ie:Rn's or other medical oriented folks..I have just started to volunteer with PMR(portland mountain rescue) seems like a good start.. It would be a good idea to work as an agency nurse, work your ass off for 6 months than take off for 6 months and volunteer your services to what ever group will take you..Perhaps a Doc's without borders trip to Asia or Boliva where I am going in March for 3 weeks..If you need anyother info drop me aline at tnorm2000@yahoo or 360-910-2730.. Hope this helps peace TRoy

TNORM - on your trip in March is Doc's without borders footing the bill for travel expenses or is there a cost share you are doing? I've thought of doing what you've described (except the agency part) after I graduate next year and get a couple years under my belt in an ICU (and also some greenbacks). Thanks.

Hey Stefan I still haven't made it out to Raineer to speak with you but what kind of medical experience and what kind of work do the medical types do? ie do they want guides with a good basic knowledge of first aid or does RMI hire people simply based on their medical experience for positions such as having a doc, nurse, emt etc on the mountain to give advanced medical care?