Hexs on slings or wires?

PSD

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are on perlon-like cord (at least the mid-to-large size ones; smaller ones are on wires).

Sling (cord) pros and cons:

Pro: easier to replace the cord if it breaks. Can do it yourself

Pro: more flexible for bending around rock nubbins, etc.

Con: due to weight of hex, it can flop around too much while you're desperately trying to place it. If you've only got one hand available to do so, it can be cumbersome to slot it correctly

Con: cord might not last as long as wire but I'm not for certain this is the case

That could be true. Or you could just be maimed for life...but still capable of leading Class 3.

Con: Cord can untie; wire obviously can't. Mine are tied with fisherman's knots. After tying them it is a good idea to hang on them or load them (but not too much) so as to tightened the knot up.

My favorite are the wild country hexes on sewn slings. They are much less prone to be lifted out by the rope than are hexes on wire; the wire tends to act as a lever in transmitting rope movement to the hex. You can slide a hex to the middle of the sling and clip each end of the sling if you need a spare runner for another piece of pro. Also, slide the hex to the middle of it's sling and clip both ends to a single racking biner so that the hex won't swing and tangle on the rack. It is often possible to thread the sling of a slung hex through a constriction (I often use my nut tool to fish the sling through) creating an absolutely bomber piece with just about any big enough hex. The slings on Wild Country hexes are longer than the wires on wired hexes. Wild Country hexes have a particularly effective curved/camming shape and they are extra light.