Poll: Making noise at the Grasslands

ryland_moore

Is it o.k. to Party at Skull Hollow?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Is it o.k. to Party at Skull Hollow?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I go to the Grasslands I always bring ear plugs. I expect folks to be making noise there, or at least I figure it's highly likely. Last time we were down there nobody was partying but the cows made a lot of noise every morning starting about 5 AM.

I figure you should always ask someone to be quiet before you call the cops; however I might not have the guts to ask a group of Hells Angles to shut up.

I wasn't there, so I don't know that much, but it sounds like there was a clash between folks who were a little too uptight and folks who had a few too many bigdrink.gif to know how noisy they were.

Anyway I hope there isn't a big dispute down there next weekend.

i think I might call the cops on the damn cows. they wake me up every time i go there.

seriously sorry your b-day was harshed on ryland, that sucks. as much as i may not personaly like you i know enough of you to know you were likely not screaming and running arround. I am Shocked that your southern accent and gentalmanly ways did not sooth thease not verry lady like women. it sounds to me that those women were a case of way to uptight. it seems to me it has been fairly commenly known that loud peple go to skull hollow and the quiet ones go to the bivey. sounds to me like those woman picked the wrong campground.

on a more personal note, what ever happend to the saying "when in rome do as the romens do"?? seriously, why is it that people walk into a situation and want to conform it to them, instead of going with what ever is going on there, ot LEAVING. I hate to say it, but from my personal experience it is mostly women that are like this. that freaking annoys me.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

drive a mile up the road? that's how the grasslands came about being a "climber's camp" the loud people with fires and parties began going there after the pussification of the bivvy. if they have to keep moving a mile up the road for the gumbies they'll be back at portland before ya know it.

until there is a camp host with posted hours and you pay to camp there.. bring on the noise and drive out even the cows.

I must take issue with DFA's comments. I am on neither side, but someplace in the middle. The grass lands has always been a place for climbers to let it all hang out, from keggers to naked bike riding. Most people know what to expect. I am sure we all have our stories, but you can't say that the grass lands is becoming more crowded and that there are now so many people that the camp spots are becoming amorphis and blending together with little separation. What was it like 15 years ago DFA? I know you know better. It was way more amorphis 15 years ago before the BLM came in and fenced it off and made parking spots. There were riggs, tents, and bodies intermingled everywhere between the cow pies. I am afraid the grasslands has or is going to become a true "skull hollow".

i think I might call the cops on the damn cows. they wake me up every time i go there.

Hey, I know it was a little early when hillweasel and I woke you guys up but there's no need for name calling or armed forces. smirk.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifwave.gif I was not refering to you guys tongue.gif silly. I ment the MOOOO cows that MOOO at the crack of dawn madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Some people want to party in the campground, some people want to sleep quietly. Who gets their way? When I want to drink it up with my buddies, I try to compromise by picking a spot away from others, parking my vehicle between our campfire and other tents, and directing the conversation away from other sites if possible. However, I expect a similar amount of understanding from the folks who would rather have things quiet. Wear earplugs, stick to the Ranger Rick campgrounds, or just deal with a little noise.

Unfortunately, the partiers have the ability to easily ruin a peaceful nights slumber, whereas the quite lovers can't do much to mess things up for the louder folks (save for calling the cops).

bigdrink.gifboxing_smiley.gifyellowsleep.gif

What does the fact that the Grasslands is free have to do with one's "right" to make noise?

Some of you have the attitude that if one wants peace and quiet, they better shell out the bucks for a hotel room, cuz public land's been usurped by the lowest common denominator, and that lowest common denominator has the right to paaaarteeeeee.

I call bullshit on that.

If y'all can't respect people's needs for a little peace and quiet, what's gonna happen is that the cops are gonna get tired of responding to shit out there, and some outfit like Thousand Trails will get contracted to run the place: fantastic, huh?

If ya gotta have yer keggers and shit, make it more special by taking it out into the boonies....there's a helluvalotta space out there for partyin', boyz!

And as far as Ryland goes, I'd wager his party was nowhere near as quiet as he claims; a group of six around a keg can make an awful racket without even realizing it. plus, a few beers tends to make one pretty self-righteous, and that seems to be a tone in his posts: "Us? Making noise? She must be a bitch or something! Women!"

Got ya Sexual Chocolate. No noise in public spaces. By god, I'm going to call the cops because all the damn cars and buses in downtown Portland make all kinds of racket when I'm trying to do a little zen meditation.

Get real.... I don't think most are advocating the lowest common demoninator and unchecked madness, but at the same time your right for peach and quiet doesn't "Win" over someone else's right to have a bit of fun.

Again, if anyone expects solitude at camping space in close proximity to the most popular crag in the state of Oregon, I'm just suggesting that they are looking in the wrong place.

uhhh...that's bs cluck...

he's talking about reasonableness and respect for other people...ie, if you are right next to a bunch of folks sleeping in their tents, its flat ass inconsiderate to be partying hard...it is a campground of sorts...go up the road or sumpin...

sheesh...

SC, I am serious, we were trying to keep it down. I was pretty shocked when they came over the second time to tell us the cops had been called. We picked an area that was as far from any other campers as possible. The woman who came over must have been walking for at least a minute to get to us. How far away that is, I do not know. Anyways, it was unfortunate that it happened at all and I will be more aware next time just as I hope those women would be too. We learn from experience, it is just the firstt time that has ever happened. Again, the campground was not packed, we may have been a little loud when we pulled up, voices carry, but we quieted down, and if others started talking over each other, you would here a collective shushhh among the group. SC, you were not there, others who were stated that they did not hear a thing, maybe I/we were in the wrong and should have gone elsewhere and maybe they should have. I think people will just have to agree to disagree, and the partiers will need to be respectful of sleepers and sleeper should know that there may be some noise at the grasslands past 10pm.