Poll: Making noise at the Grasslands

ryland_moore

Is it o.k. to Party at Skull Hollow?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Is it o.k. to Party at Skull Hollow?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grasslands is certainly changing and not for the better..

The Grasslands used to be a place for the dirt bag partier types to hang out after climbing..

Those of you hard pulling sport gym rats should stay at the bivy. The reason you drive 15 minutes away from those camps isn’t just because it’s free it’s because we could have fires and drink and stay up late if we so damn pleased…

Now the grasslands have every gym rat Gumby telling people what to do and calling the cops.. (fawk!)

Hope to keep you all awake this weekend.

bigdrink.gif

well, sounds like they aren't seasons campground types. i wasn't used to them either for awhile because i tended to do wilderness camping in the mountains. however, i do have sensitive hearing and i realized that campgrounds are one of those 'multiple use' areas, not a wilderness area. it'd be nice if people respected the post-10pm rule but they often don't (esp in Camp 4). thus, rather than make a scene i just bring ear plugs. problem solved.

So lets see, she asked you guys- suggested - that she wanted peace and you basically ignored her.

Now you show up here and ask what was up with her.

I would suggest some introspection Ryland. It is people like you, not paying attention to bitches like her, which causes people like me to get shit on when they close the area because of people like you. I wasn't there, but reading between the lines, you were too loud. If you want to be loud at night, go off by yourselfs, not do it in a popular area.

R. Moore -

It's funny to see a lot of you more trad-oriented climbers who will bitch about the crowds and social atmosphere of Smith at the drop of a hat turn around and act like you can make noise and irritate people at the campground and it's no big deal. The attitude that you should be able to do what you want and if other people are bothered by it, "they should just move" (and no, the Grasslands was NOT so uncrowded last weekend, nor is it usually so uncrowded, that someone could simply select another site, even if it was an appropriate option) DOES sound like something that would come from someone a lot younger than you are.

The rationale that since the Grasslands is a free campground, people should just deal with whatever crap happens there is completely ludicrous. This doubtless doesn't apply when a crew of people winds up next to YOU and makes noise all night with their drum circle or wakes you at 6 a.m. with Grateful Dead bootlegs played at full volume over crackling VW bus speakers.

The Grasslands has grown increasingly crowded over the years; the sites have become amorphous and are blending together; it is becoming difficult to have any reasonable degree of separation between parties, spatially and sonically. Is it too much to ask to acquiesce and be considerate of other people? It's bad enough when a truckload of rednecks winds up next to you blaring Garth Brooks late into the night and early in the morning, and you know they're just dying to brawl with whatever climber fag tries to ask them to quiet down; why should climbers do the same to each other?

So lets see, she asked you guys- suggested - that she wanted peace and you basically ignored her.

Now you show up here and ask what was up with her.

I would suggest some introspection Ryland. It is people like you, not paying attention to bitches like her, which causes people like me to get shit on when they close the area because of people like you. I wasn't there, but reading between the lines, you were too loud. If you want to be loud at night, go off by yourselfs, not do it in a popular area.

you've gotten be fawking kidding....you're not really a human-being are you?

syrup and sugar in the gas tank doesn't work. Saw this on Mythbusters just the other day. Couple litres of water will keep them off the road for a few days...

you just need enough syrup. but if you think it won't work do you volunteer your vehicle for a test?

syrup and sugar in the gas tank doesn't work. Saw this on Mythbusters just the other day. Couple litres of water will keep them off the road for a few days...

you just need enough syrup. but if you think it won't work do you volunteer your vehicle for a test?

cry.gif

the guys on mythbusters put almost 1:1 sugar to gas in the gas tank of an old caddilac engine, it didn't bother it at all, even after they let it sit over night. Started right up, ran for hours. Bleach stalled the motor, but with no permanent damage (probably the water). Moth balls made it run better! Also, they shot the hell out of the gas tank at a rifle range, but couldn't make it explode. I love that show!

Look, people can always drive a mile up the road and camp in a private spot if they don't want to deal with the crowds, which is what I often do. I honestly think its unrealistic to expect 10 pm quite hours in the grasslands unless its run by a camp host and that aint what we all want.

Last year, the locals pulled up to our private site, gunned the engine on the jacked up 4x4 tuck and yelled "WE'RE FROM PRINEVILLE AND YOU'RE NOT!!"

DFA, first off, I am not a trad climber, just pretend to be one. Anyone who redpoints three number grades higher on sport vs. trad should not be called a trad climber. I like to go in the alpine and have only once or twice been out trad cragging and that is usually on rest days down in the Lower Gorge.

As for the so called "crowd." When was the last time you were at Smith when there were more open sites than full sites during peak season. That was last weekend and if you think otherwise, maybe your age is catching up with you. We did tone it down the first time she came over, switched music from Hendrix to Van Morrison, and were talking using our normal voices from three feet away. How much more quiet should we have been? Maybe DFA is really a middle-aged woman in that group of ten women? They could have easily moved closer to the road. We were in the very back of the campground, trying to be considerate of others. The elk were louder than we were! They new there was a keg and 12 people coming over that night. They had every opportunity to move knowing that they may be effected by conversation from 60 yards away. My two cents.

Here is my question.... what was the cop's solution to the interesting proposition of people talking too loud, outside in a public place? Can you get busted for talking too much and disturbing someone else's sleep?

I think the folks expecting "quiet" and "sensitivity" have chosen the wrong sport. Can't tell you how many times I've been awakened camping by.... animals, my tentmate's snoring, gale force winds, and yes, sometimes even other climbers. If all you are looking for is a good night's sleep, stay at home, get a hotel room, sleep in your car somewhere, get ear plugs or get over it.

The sherriff just stated that he received a complaint from a hunter that there was a group who was making too much noise and wanted it to stop. There were only four of us outside at the time, the rest had gone to bed and he couldn't really say anything other than just to keep it down, which we were doing. Then we talked about deer hunting and the elk that were bugling between the ridges behind us.

It seems like the ladies were a bit uptight...hhhmmm, I wonder if they were part of the group mentioned in the other Smith thread.

Noise at the Grasslands is inevitable any more, whether it's from some friggin drum circle, technofreakravers, or a bunch of rednecks boasting about the fact that they are from such-n-such and you're not! Simple fact is G-lands is free camping and you never know who's gonna show up, so either be prepared or do like some and continue on up the road and find a better spot.