anyone like live music here in PDX

mwills

ok, i recently moved to PDX from heaven (Iowa). does anyone here take advantage of the live music scene in this city? it's too good to be absolutely absent from discussion. it must be the lack of jam bands.... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif c'mon, queensryche is in town next week rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second this gentleman's question. just moved to a swank part of town. someone give a heads up to good bars w/cheap live music.

I haven't heard of any of the bands in the paper so I really don't want to find a good one via trial and error (although fun, it's mula $$)

Whats up Matt. You here for good now?

I have seen a few good shows but I rarely get out on the weekends. My girl would be a better resource. I can ask her for a list later today. Either of you guys have a preference? Blues, rock, country western? You are from Iowa and all Matt.

Jason

ah, hey jason - good to hear from you. yep, i'm here in PDX for a while. sure i am from iowa but i do appreciate good music. but iowa is not too far away from southern illinois which is not too far from arkansas.....

layton, where are slumming these days. i just moved into a place in NW. there are plenty of good bars around up here, some with good music. just have to keep your ears open. some good shows coming up Badly Drawn Boy (brit pop), Deathcab for Cutie (indie pop - b'ham boys with a knack for catchy music and good songwriting), Joanna Newsome (lo-fi folky stuff - she plays a harp, definitely different), Mason Jennings (indie pop/rock - puts on a good show), John Vanderslice (indie rock - and he rocks), Wilco (prolly heard of them), PJ Harvey (her too), etc. i'll be going to these shows so shoot me a pm if you are interested.

anyone climbing at the portland rock gym this winter. time to start training again. cool.gif

a rowdy bluegrass-meets-slayer band Split Lip Rayfield is playing at Ash St on the 19th. these guys can rock out, including the 1-string gas tank bass!

free clips are on their site and Bloodshot records. (don't know about their latest album)

show's only $8, and i guarantee you won't regret it.

rockband.gifbigdrink.gif

edit: (seattle, tractor tavern, 10-18)

Edited by Ricardo_Montalban

Don't know if they still do it but:

Dahlia on Weds at Ohm (hard to classify Dahlia, but I don't know anyone who's disliked seeing them)

and the funky organ trio (name anyone?) on Tues at the Goodfoot.

Also used to be free bluegrass on Sun afternoon at the McMinimans joint on W Burnside (can't even remember the name, down around 14th or so, on the S. side...has several pooltables).

a rowdy bluegrass-meets-slayer band Split Lip Rayfield is playing at Ash St on the 19th. these guys can rock out, including the 1-string gas tank bass!

free clips are on their site and Bloodshot records. (don't know about their latest album)

show's only $8, and i guarantee you won't regret it.

rockband.gifbigdrink.gif

edit: (seattle, tractor tavern, 10-18)

Bluegrass meets slayer?? Did I miss something? I listened to the clips, and I love bluegrass, but I heard no slayer influence at all. confused.gif

Bluegrass meets slayer?? Did I miss something? I listened to the clips, and I love bluegrass, but I heard no slayer influence at all.

yeah, that comparison is used alot, but it's misleading. it's referring to speed not style. I'd describe it more like 'bluegrass on meth'...good ole kansas style!

Of course all bands sound different in the studio. sorry, most of the clips are their marketable songs all polished up. check out In the Ground for the closest 'live' representation. I still don't think that clip does justice to their live show's. fast, sweaty, loud, and extremely tight...while consuming large amounts of bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

GD, I don't know your situation is over there, but if interested, you can download part of a show from this site for $10

No snooker tables in the annex--its in the main ringlers. If'n you wanna play snooker though, a much cooler place to go is Sams over in the Hollywood district. First bar I ever went to at the ripe old age of 6 to watch my dad and uncle play snooker.

I thought the classic PDX bar game was shuffleboard - with those cool silicone beads!