Windshirt Comparison

Rafael_H

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild Things basic windshirts are $25 right now direct from Wild Things. I have two. I like that they are a pull over as opposed to a jacket. They are tailored fairly well and fit well under a soft shell over your base layer for cold conditions.

My $0.02

Edited by Illini

OR is making a very good ultra light (3 oz) windshirt now. It is quite breathable rather than totally wind proof. I often wear this shirt by itself when travelling light and hot, and I'll put a light wool shirt underneath the windshirt when it cools down. You can sometimes find them for half price at the OR store on 1st avenue. It is a simple zip neck pullover with one zipper pocket and cinch cords at the waist and neck.

i had the wild things nylon wind shirt for awhile ... but i wanted a little more strength and the elastic wristbands so i "upgraded" to the epic one and i LOVE it. until recently (because it is getting colder) i pretty much wore my wind shirt every day - to work or to play. it goes with everything and does its job well. it is easy to layer and it packs small - i've even stuffed it in a pretty small purse for evenings out! i've had it for at least two years now, have used it for many months of climbing and almost daily wear for several months this year and i swear it still looks new.

one of the most versatile pieces of "technical" clothing i have! thumbs_up.gif

I've been using The Windshirt since at least 2000, it's been great. The older material I had was stroner than new, BTW. But, I would like to see what other brands have to offer.

Anybody used the Arcteryx stuff? Dru, knock-knock, thoughts?

Just from looking I am assuming the Switchback would be slightly warmer and more breathable if it's not windy. How much worse is it though when it blows?

Well, perhaps the $25 sale is the deciding factor smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody used the Arcteryx stuff? Dru, knock-knock, thoughts?

I used the Hybrid jacket, love it.

Superb fit (well, at least for me), extremly tough

(high tenacity ripstop nylon + schoeller dynamic

reinforcement), windproof yet very breathable.

Only one bad thing, the nylon is not DWR treated.

The jacket can withstand a short light rain, but

otherwise you'll be soaked.

This is one of my favorite piece of equipment.

They're now available at deeply discounted prices,

get one when you can!

The Arc Teryx Switch back pullover is awsome. I use it for summer alpine rock and winter ice. The new Tweave Durastretch is light and more abrasion,wind and water resistant than schoeller. The original marmot dri clime is still the best if you aren't going to abrade it too much.