Sharpening of the tools

fenderfour

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely bevel th edges, makes a world of difference. also depending on what you will be climbing, i like to knock off the top of the pick as well. for example in the photo i would cut off the top left point of the pick. and put down some newspaper or you will end up with metal shaving all over your floor pitty.gif

This is a great topic, I wouldlike to see more photos of what people do to their tools, ice tools that is!!!

I also would like to hear any ideas on sharpening screws, after a few seasons of dropping them in to my bag they are getting dull, I should have taken better care of them. I was thinking that the local shrpening place may have a few ideas but that seems pretty sketchy.

thanks in advance

j

Hey Fender4, I pretty much sharpen my ice tools like Dubya described. Though be careful about over sharpening, which can cause the tip/edge to bend over really quick.

As for sharening ice screws if you know someone witha CNC machine that is the bomb. Now-a-day I just use small jewler files.

I dunno about filing down that point in the upper left. I reshaped that once (BD Stinger pick) to where there was more of a smooth curve from point of pick to top of pick and it seemed to shatter ice even more than before... Like ken said though, don't file 'em up razor sharp for each usage b/c you'll just end up tacoing over the edge first swing.

I went home and sharpened the tools last night. Sides of the new Cascade picks are already beveled. All I had to fix was the front bottom side. You can see the big block that Grivel left in the pic I first posted.

I will wait before I modify the picks anymore. Right now my plans are to play on some glacial ice, so super-accurate gnarly-mcbadass tools are not necessary.

Thanks for the input folks.