Can't climb enough!!

johnny

I'm suffering from "really want to get out but have too much stuff to do" syndrome. Work, kids, yard, kids, car maintenence, kids, are keeping me from climbing as much as I want to. Not an overwhelming problem but as most of the rock out here (North carolina) is so steep I find myself underprepared for the long reaches and lockoffs necessary to climb even the moderates when I actually find myself ouside on real rock, desperately wishing I had enough strength to hang on while I fiddle another nut in.

Strung myself a slackline, got a hangboard on order, but want to build a Bachar ladder. I got 120 feet of 7mm and some 1.25 PVC but wondered if y'all had any ideas/advice on rung spacing and distance???? I have read that nipple to reach length/2 is good,(reach for every other rung) or shorter to begin with. How wide should I make the rungs???

Peanut gallery????

Help???

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

build a little at a time and you will be suprised what you can come up with for not a lot of cash... also have other climbers you know come over pitch in etc. then share you inside wall... could be lots of fun. If you don't already, work on your indurance training... biking walking or running. Yoga helps tooo believe it or not. I'm not a master or anything... but thease things have helped me.

Thanks SK but I already have the cordage and PVC for a bachar ladder, it cost me $25 and a 25 piece set of Franklin holds will cost me $30. That is WITH the pro-deal (I work at a gear store here in Winston Salem. Thats WITHOUT the plywood and T-nuts!!!

A wall is definately in my future but If I can get my crank on for under $30 that is what I must do.

ANYONE: rung width and spacing advice??? workout length; duration, reps etc????

The Doctor doesn't know about rung width or spacing, but he does know that your health insurance better be current if you're going to be aping around on a Bachar Ladder. There's a reason no one trains on those things anymore, and that reason, my good friend, is tendonitis. The BL has a fearsome reputation for destroying more elbows than tennis. Best to stick to the hangboard; perhaps mounted in such a way as to enable you to do some leg-lifty-type stuff as well so you can build up the ever-useful core tension. Seriously, the ladder will wreck your shit and leave you at home with the kids and bags of ice on your elbows while you watch Rampage for the 156th time and wish you had never heard of John Bachar or ladders.

I've never used a Bachar Ladder, but it seems you can get a similar training stimulus using basic nautilus equipment, ie. one armed lat pulldowns, wide grip lat pulldowns, and, my fave, typewriters. These things build power-endurance fast!

If you're on the dole, take your pvc back and build a campus board! Prolly cost you $20 for the hardware, if'n you go minimalist. I built one years ago and got alot out of it.

BTW, I built a 6' by 8' adjustable woodie for pretty cheap, with much of the savings coming from making the holds myself out of wood. With wood comes another advantage: skin-friendly work-outs. Actually work out until fatigue makes ya quit, not skin pain!

Good luck.

[ 09-03-2002, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: sexual chocolate ]

I'm trying to understand this Bachar ladder concept... from what I gather you're supposed to take a rope ladder, tension it at 20-30 degrees overhanging, then climb hands-only.

Seems like a good way to get tendonitis since your palms are twisted away from your body all the time and the exercise is quite stressful.

How about spacing the rungs much further apart and doing the exercise with ice tools? That should yield a more natural body position, right?

quote:

Originally posted by Necronomicon:

Fill a tub with warm water, get in, relax, and let some blood. You're stuck in the American Dream, and there's no getting out.

-J

Bah. Bloodletting is so 1800's, and is certainly not going to do shit for your tendonitis. Try 15 mg of Mobic, twice a day; you'll probably see much better results. Better yet, just stay away from the Bachar Ladder in the first place.