• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Thrill

who uses WiFi???

yeah, get someone who has a laptop w/ card to come chill in yer backyard (i'm available for a mere beer or two)

I know there is a starbucks down the street (6 blocks) and another coffee house one block further away than that that is wireless.

Is there a way of knowing if one of my neighbors has wifi before I shell out the dough for a card?

I've seen keychains that are "WiFi finders" for $15 at Fry's. You can buy a card for $20-$30. Or I could stand I your backyard for free.

I've switched the store over to WiFi because I didn't want to bother stringing a new cable for the public internet terminal after the old cable shorted out. Setting up WiFi cost not much more than the new cable would have been, and I didn't have to spend an entire day up on a ladder.

So if you're looking for free access points in Squamish, there are now two that I know of - ~Valhalla Pure~ Outfitters, and the Howe Sound Inn.

Just pour some water out of your tap and hold it up in the air in a glass. If the temperature rises more than 5°F within 15 minutes, there is a 802.11 network nearby...

also if your cat takes a right turn in the bottom half of the hour...wifi nearby....

I recently installed a 802.11g WiFi system in my house to share a cable modem internet connection and central printer with my new Mac and my old PC (made me feel like a fuckin' genius!). I also purchased a WiFi card for my work laptop so I can check my work email while wearing my bathrobe and sipping coffee on my deck.

Of course, my network is encrypted, but since I live in Northern Michigan, there is a distinct shortage of dirtbag climbers cruising for any open WiFi network anyway...

WiFi is the bomb. I love it. I use my laptop at home, on the road, and at the office, all locations have WiFi. The mobility is great. It is super easy to find free hotspots on the road. I am a sales rep and my territory is Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washingto, and Alaska. I have no problem searching the web for free hotspots.

I recently installed a 802.11g WiFi system in my house to share a cable modem internet connection and central printer with my new Mac and my old PC (made me feel like a fuckin' genius!). I also purchased a WiFi card for my work laptop so I can check my work email while wearing my bathrobe and sipping coffee on my deck.

Of course, my network is encrypted, but since I live in Northern Michigan, there is a distinct shortage of dirtbag climbers cruising for any open WiFi network anyway...

I am sitting in a meeting in Duluth, Minnesota scamming an open network right now fruit.giffruit.gif

Iain

Actually its pretty nice here today. There was beautiful weather all the way from PDX to Duluth when I flew in yesterday. The fall colors are pretty nice. rockband.gif

Anyway my point was free WiFi.

HAHAHAHA! I went to college in Saint Paul and I was counting the days until I could get back to the PNW every time I went over there. I bet the weather is nice in Duluth....today. Check back in in a month or two....or six...

I went to college in Saint Paul and I was counting the days until I could get AWAY FROM THAT HELLHOLE... I'd have even fled to Salem!

i have no plans on checking back in a month! After friday its a couple of days in the woods armed to the teeth ready to take on the ruffed grouse and timberdoodle