[TR] Ingalls Traverse- 9/25/2004

wayne

Climb: Ingalls Traverse-

Date of Climb: 9/25/2004

Trip Report:

Just looking for a fun moderate ridge/summit traverse?

Ingalls as a couple good options,...

I had 1 day and no partner. (and a bit of rust after the early rains) Having never been to the Ingalls area,I decided now was a good time, there has to be good reasons it is so popular , right? Seeking the most adventure, I put the plan together of crossing all 3 summits,(under no delusions it was a "first" or anything).

Trying to think of the best direction, Colin suggested going east to west might be the best way to go . So I stuck up the North ridge of the East Ingalls on exposed ridges and a little loose rock. It was excilerating to be in the high exposed places once again. The better route on the east is the one I downclimbed to get to the North Peak. The rock is solid on the South ridge and might make a more aesthetic way up. The East Ridge of the North came and went pretty quick, It was fun and at times exposed as well. I can see why the route is considered "select" . Looking down at the gathering hordes coming up the South Ridge, I wondered if there was enough room to down climb past everyone without pissing them off. It went so well though , I couldnt resist climbing back up one of the variations there, to then downclimb a second time around these nice folks. People were in great spirits, they were contemplating the coming fall rains and seemed happy to be outside enjoying the mts.

The South Peak offered a nice wind down hike to its top, where yet another great veiw competed with my desire to keep moving. It didnt seem like I was racing fast, but the time to the third summit took 5hrs from the car. It is a good traverse available to all seeking sane adventure!

Edited by wayne1112

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another good, and technically much easier traverse to consider. I found it in Peggy Goldman's scrambling book, and hiked it earlier today (5.5 hrs CTC): climb the south peak of Ingalls, take its south ridge to the next summit (point 7382), and follow the west ridge from here down to trail 1226.2/1394. It's 3rd class with a lot of fun rock scrambling, good exposure, and moderate route-finding. And, it's a loop--new views the whole way!

jbclimber--There was basically no snow on Ingalls or on what I could see of Stuart.

• 4 years later...