Fee Demo Extended

ryland_moore

See this article below. Seems like the fee demo is extended through 2006 and a big push is out to make it permanent. Sorry I do not have a link as it came to me via Word.

Update for Thursday

September 23, 2004

1 PUBLIC LANDS PRINT THIS STORY

House committee OKs Interior, Forest Service recreation fee authority

Dan Berman, Land Letter reporter

Tired of watching congressional appropriators reauthorize the controversial fee demonstration program, the House Resources Committee yesterday approved a bill to establish permanent authority for the federal government to charge fees on National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and Forest Service lands.

After token opposition, the committee passed the bill by Rep. Ralph Regula (R-Ohio) by voice vote, sending it to the House floor for consideration.

Interior agencies and the Forest Service are currently operating under the fee demo program established via a Regula rider to the fiscal year 1996 Interior appropriations bill. The program has been a cash cow for the departments -- Interior expects to collect $138 million from the fee demo in fiscal year 2005, mostly from the Park Service, while the Forest Service expects to collect $46 million, according to the administration budget requests.

Since its creation, Congress has reauthorized fee demo several times, most recently as a rider in the fiscal year 2004 Interior appropriations bill. Fee demo is now authorized through Jan. 1, 2006. House Resources Committee Chairman Richard Pombo (R-Calif.) had pledged to the House Appropriations Committee that his committee would pass a bill dealing with the issue to avoid similar fee demo reauthorizations in the future.

Implementation of the fee demo program has been controversial from its outset, as opponents charge the program has been haphazardly and unfairly implemented and claim it is wrong for the federal government to collect user fees for access to public lands already funded with taxpayer dollars.

Amendment sets standards for fees

Pombo sought to address those issues via a substitute amendment that would provide strict guidelines on when fees are appropriate and establish fee levels.

Under the amended bill, the Forest Service and BLM would not be allowed to charge solely for parking, scenic pullouts or other non-developed areas. The Park Service and FWS would be allowed to continue to charge entrance fees.

"This section may be seen as overly prescriptive, but the details were necessary and should alleviate concerns of those members who may no longer trust certain federal land management agencies with rec fee authority," Pombo said.

Many Western Republicans were upset after it was discovered BLM had used nearly $1 million in fees collected in California's Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area to study the threatened Peirson's milk-vetch. Off-road vehicle groups have been fighting BLM over access to areas in the recreation area and say the studies funded by user fees as high as $90 are being used to close lands to ORV users.

And a 2003 Government Accountability Office report said the fee demo program has allowed the Forest Service to improve visitor services and protect resources, but the agency could do a better job of accounting for how the money is spent (Land Letter, May 29, 2003).

In June, the House attached an amendment to the fiscal year 2005 Interior spending bill prohibiting the use of funds collected under the recreation fee demonstration program for monitoring studies of endangered and threatened species (E&E Daily, June 17).

Robert Funkhouser, president of the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition, said the language in the amended bill was extremely disappointing. "The premise of basic fees that is embraced by this bill and the actual wording allowing over-broad implementation is a real disappointment to the user public and those who live in rural communities," Funkhouser said.

Pombo's amendment would also provide for public input by creating Recreation Advisory Committees to make recommendations to the agencies regarding the establishment, elimination or change of any fee, and would limit the authorization for the fee demo program to 10 years. "This will put an end to fears that federal land managers cannot be trusted with recreational fee authority because we lay out very specific circumstances under which these fees can be collected and spent," Pombo said of his amendment.

That argument did not sit well with ranking member Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.), who said fee demo is an "experiment gone awry," leaving visitors "frustrated, confused and angered over being charged to use resources they already own."

Rahall also said he was unsatisfied with the new language. "Reading this legislation is just like reading the tax code: five agencies, four different types of fees, 20 different classes of exemptions, three different types of passes and more than 50 resource councils to help sort it all out," he said.

However, noting that Regula -- a formidable presence on the House Appropriations Committee -- was watching the proceedings from the front row of the audience, Rahall declined to call for a roll call vote.

Funkhouser blasted the committee for acquiescing to Regula's presence in the room. "It's one man's land at this point," Funkhouser said. "Whatever this man wants, the rest of us will have to swallow."

The future of fee demo

Another avid fee opponent, Scott Silver of Wild Wilderness, said despite yesterday's action, it is unlikely a fee authorization bill will be completed soon.

In May, the Senate passed legislation that would extend the fee demo program for the Park Service while allowing the fee collection authority for the other agencies to expire at the end of 2005, and some senators have been outspoken on their opposition to expanding the fee program.

At an oversight hearing in April, Senate Forests Subcommittee Chairman Larry Craig (R-Idaho) said he would oppose a basic entrance fee to Interior and Forest Service public lands. "I want all to know that I will not support a basic entrance fee ... whether or not it is called an entrance fee or basic fee or by any other name," Craig said. "These are public lands, and they should remain open to the public."

Craig said he is open to discussing collection of fees at specific recreation sites such as a lake or campground where an agency has developed amenities and improvements for visitors. But he remains opposed to entry fees like those for some national parks. "We are not going to start treating the Forest Service, BLM and wildlife refuges as if they were national parks," Craig said (E&E Daily, April 22).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This kind of legislative bullshit makes me so fucking PISSED. madgo_ron.gif

It seems lately that our "Guvamint" is more concerned for the welfare of themselves than the very populace which grants the body their powers. This country is slowly(quicker, lately) going to shit. Our freedoms and liberties are being taken away from us bit by bit. The sad thing is that the average Joe/Jane is so pre-occupied by so much noisy, shiny crap that they don't give a fuck about anything but their own shit. This is exactly the kind of sneaky shit that won't even register a response with people until they try to go to "the woods" Even then most folk will just scratch their heads and obey. It's long past due for some honest, open, multifaceted discussion about our natural areas between all user groups. Pretty soon the only people left will be in developed campgrounds with a Burger King kiosk and full hookups. They'll pay the fee and be happy about it. There's no "Us/them" yet, but I worry that there are a lot of motivated parties that are trying hard to encourage that mentality and that would profit from that kind of split. Get the mountain bikers to bitch about the equestrians, get them to bitch about snowmobiles, get hikers to bitch at hunters, Get loggers to bitch at environmentalists, get everybody against each other and then Congress can do whatever the fuck they want to with OUR land. Folks will be so busy pointing fingers at each other they won't notice that we're getting collectively fleeced. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Many Western Republicans were upset after it was discovered BLM had used nearly $1 million in fees collected in California's Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area to study the threatened Peirson's milk-vetch. Off-road vehicle groups have been fighting BLM over access to areas in the recreation area and say the studies funded by user fees as high as $90 are being used to close lands to ORV users.
thumbs_up.gif

fees suck but I'm all in favor of anything that gets Repugnicans and ORV dune buggy nuts pissed off and riled up boxing_smiley.gif

Here's a link to something a little less biased than Scott Silver.

Sounds like a small victory. They'll still be able to ticket you for anyplace they got bathrooms though.

"H.R. 3283, The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, creates a two-tier system for recreation fees on sites with amenities, but establishes that no fees are to be charged for basic use (including, but not limited to, parking, picnicking, general access, camping, hunting or fishing) on undeveloped areas that have little or no investment in amenities and maintenance."

[...]

According to the legislation, a “standard amenity recreation fee” may be charged on sites only if an area is managed, has substantial federal investments and includes all of the following: a permanent trash receptacle; designated developed parking; a permanent toilet facility; an interpretive sign, kiosk or exhibit; a designated eating area; and security services.

An “expanded amenity recreation fee” may be charged if the user is taking advantage of specialty facilities or equipment such as boat launches; electricity; developed campgrounds; or the rental of cabins, boats, day-use or overnight structures, or historical buildings.

In 1992, Ralph Nader spoke to the University of San Francisco and delivered the following speech: The Decline of Democracy & The Concord Principles

http://www.ratical.org/co-globalize/RalphNader/RN05.09.92.html#entry

Also in 1992 he delivered a related speech to Harvard Law students; The Citizen Agenda for '92

Disolving the Plutocracy

http://www.ratical.org/co-globalize/RalphNader/RN01.15.92.html#entry

It doesn't matter what your political preference is or if you think Nader is going to affect the upcoming election again. You should still read this stuff. It goes to show we are facing the same problems we were back in 1992 and before.

You can't expect the people who cause a problem to fix it!

I'd be curious to know what Nader thinks of Fee Demo!

This kind of legislative bullshit makes me so fucking PISSED. madgo_ron.gif

It seems lately that our "Guvamint" is more concerned for the welfare of themselves than the very populace which grants the body their powers. This country is slowly(quicker, lately) going to shit. Our freedoms and liberties are being taken away from us bit by bit. The sad thing is that the average Joe/Jane is so pre-occupied by so much noisy, shiny crap that they don't give a fuck about anything but their own shit. This is exactly the kind of sneaky shit that won't even register a response with people until they try to go to "the woods" Even then most folk will just scratch their heads and obey. It's long past due for some honest, open, multifaceted discussion about our natural areas between all user groups. Pretty soon the only people left will be in developed campgrounds with a Burger King kiosk and full hookups. They'll pay the fee and be happy about it. There's no "Us/them" yet, but I worry that there are a lot of motivated parties that are trying hard to encourage that mentality and that would profit from that kind of split. Get the mountain bikers to bitch about the equestrians, get them to bitch about snowmobiles, get hikers to bitch at hunters, Get loggers to bitch at environmentalists, get everybody against each other and then Congress can do whatever the fuck they want to with OUR land. Folks will be so busy pointing fingers at each other they won't notice that we're getting collectively fleeced. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

That was a beautiful rant, Bunglehead. If we meet, the first round is on me. bigdrink.gifthumbs_up.gif

You can't expect the people who cause a problem to fix it!

Amen, brother. I re-learn that lesson at work every day.

The Fee Demo is such bullshit. it's such open ended legislative trash that the Forest dis-service can charge at any trailhead they want to regardless of popularity. There are bike trails around here that I've never seen another soul on, including weekends, and there's a fee demo sign posted. Then I drive south to the Umpqua National Forest and I can't recall ever seeing one of those posted at any trailhead. thumbs_down.gif

Thanks, Squid. It just fucking torques me so much. The FS can pretty much abuse the legislation any way they see fit. Divide and conquer. It's been working for centuries. Call me romantic and naive, but I believe a good portion of the text in our founding documents. You know, life, liberty, the pursuit of HAPPINESS. madgo_ron.gif

Actually Dru, I don't think the Snow Lakes area needs to add anything to comply. The fact that the tool patrols in order to ticket would satisfy the "security" element, and the large flat boulders on the river side of the lot could be designated as an "eating area" by placing a sign on the kiosk that states as much.

So basically anywhere they determine might be a revenue generator, look for the installation of a pit toilet, trash can, picnic table and sign. I don't believe for a minute that they will leave the undeveloped parking areas at trailheads and the like undeveloped if they sense the possibility of a revenue source.

Keep up the fight, because this is not a done deal. Currently the Fee Demo extension ends at the end of 2005. The article above is focused mainly on the House committee's version of a bill to make it permanent. This still has to get on the agenda for a house vote, and then we will see what the Senate does with it. After that, there would be a joint markup session and assuming they can come to consensus, the amended bill would go forward for a vote. (Hey, I watched SchoolHouse Rock..."I'm just a bill on capitol hill!") I don't think, with a republican senate, that it will pass. Keep writing letters, and stay informed.

I've written 9 letters to congresspeople in the last 3 years on this issue. That's not a lot of work, but WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ABOUT IT? Five minutes, write a letter. Silver's site probably even has some kind of pre-formated talking points or petition or something.

Ouch, Dru. You know how to make a point...

So, here's a newbie question: I bought a $50 national parks pass. For an extra $15 I can get a golden eagle sticker:

Golden Eagle

For an additional $15, a Golden Eagle sticker may be purchased and affixed to a National Parks Pass to cover entrance fees at not only national parks, but also at sites managed by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U. S. Forest Service, and the Bureau of Land Management. The Golden Eagle stickers are available at National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Land Management fee stations. The Golden Eagle admits the pass signee and any accompanying passengers in a private* vehicle if a park has a per vehicle entrance fee. Where a per person entrance fee is charged, the Golden Eagle admits the pass signee, spouse, children and parents. The Golden Eagle is nontransferable and does NOT cover or reduce use fees such as charges for camping, parking, tours, and concessions. It is valid for entrance fees only. The Golden Eagle hologram is valid until the expiration of the National Parks Pass to which it is affixed.

From what I read, you still need to doll out $30 for the NW Forest Pass because the damn uber-thing does NOT cover user fees?

This is so lame...

Oh, and while I agree it's nice that the money goes back to the trails, it's 80% of it. Ask anybody who gives money to charity, a 20% overhead by the organization who manages the money is ludicrous! They should put back 96% of it in the trails *at least*.

drC

First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me