Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?

glacier

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you loco? I'm sure it's fun and all, but going over 3 times the speed limit's hardly a victimless crime...

Should drunk drivers get a slap on the wrist the first time too?

I wouldn't equate it to driving drunk, more like running around on foot on a busy freeway. Still impressive when they live, but if they get caught, the police are going to stop them, not just shake their heads in amazement.

Are you loco?
In hindsight I should have elaborated. I was thinking only if this was done on a lonely stretch of road (like in the middle of the desert) where it could be assumed no innocent bystanders would be in the way. Gun the bike for a short stretch to see what it can handle then drop back down to logical speeds. I certainly don't advocate speeding like that in more densely populated areas.

Whether or not you believe someone should have the right to endanger their own life engaging in such an activity is beside the point, really. I engage in a dangerous activity called mountain climbing where I "cheat death" at least once or twice a year. Should I--or anyone--be banned from doing it? No.

Okay, since you guys still don't get it...

There have been times when I've been driving paved "public" roads in the deserts of the southwest and not seen another soul, let alone another car, for an hour or more. I've also been on roads so straight and flat that you can literally see 20 miles (like the roads that cross through basins in Nevada's Basin & Range province). On a road such as this, you could speed and get away with it. That is such a place where you can reasonably assume there will be nothing to get in your way. And if there is something there you'll see it way ahead of time. No one who dares go 200 mph on a bike would fail to be observant in such events. If a gila monster ambles into your path and you crash, that's your own tough luck, but you didn't kill another person.

BTW, 200 mph on a bike? I've never done it so I can't say what kind of control you can have. Can you? Obviously, the Minnesota speeder was able to control his bike.

Actually Klenke, I thought you were just making a very subtle commentary on the "wilderness power driller" thread going on elsewhere on the board! smile.gif

But now that I realize you were serious... hellno3d.gif

Your climbing analogy doesn't quite work - last I checked, climbing is legal. Doing 200+ isn't.

-kurt

It was highway 61 in MN. I don't know what the road is like but I suspect it's not the equivalent of an open stretch in the desert.

For comparison's sake, MotoGP bikes (2 wheeled F1) are doing 215+ and AMA and FIM superbikes are getting close to 200. These are racebikes in a high state of tune, but on the other hand they are tuned more for low to mid-range, so it's not inconceivable to build a 200 mph streetbike. Its the same platform that the racing superbike use.

However, road race bikes are regularly aspirated (i.e. not turbo- or supercharged) and don't run NO2. With a turbo kit or NO2 I think it would be pretty easy to get 200 mph from a CBR1000RR. There are street legal turbocharged 1300 cc bikes that have been clocked at 240+ in speed trials.

If the bike is straight, it will get more stable at speed, not less. On the other hand, you have zero time to react if someone pulls in front of you, and at 200 mph a bike will do serious damage to a car and its occupants.

Personally, I think this kind of riding is stupid. It's dangerous for the rider and others on the road, and it's bad for the sport. Besides, any moron can go fast in a straight line, the fun is hauling ass through turns.

Seems like a dumb place to go 200. I got up to 118 on my bike one time, and then the idea of a bunny running out in front of me got me to slow down before I got to terminal velocity.

Far as 200 goes, I haven't done it, but one of my good friends has been a Bonneville racer for maybe 20 years. I had the good fortune of going with him in 1996 to drive the chase truck and do split times and whatnot at the summer meet at B'ville. He didn't get in the 200 Club on that trip, but got some record or another at about 196. I asked him what it was like (I had a broken leg at the time, so taking the bike out on a run myself was not an option) and he said it just took a long time to stop, going that fast. I had approximately the same experience going 118 the summer before, seems that's the big deal with going fast.

I'd like to know what that doof did to his bike to get it to go over 200. One could assume there was turbo/nitrous involved, I don't know that even with the modern hardware you can get a bike going that fast just with blueprinting and porting.

EDIT: I just saw the post above mine, which basically covers it. cool.gif

Edited by marylou

It was highway 61 in MN.

Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"

Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"

God say, "No." Abe say, "What?"

God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but

The next time you see me comin' you better run"

Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done?"

God says, "Out on Highway 61."

You can't justify going 3 times the speed limit on a public road. Period. Any of you who engage in that kind of mental circle-jerk are selfish in a murderously irresponsible way. Go spend tonight down at the ER.

If'n the cops weren't around, I'd deliver a biker-style asswhipping to that fuckwad.

You can't justify going 3 times the speed limit on a public road. Period. Any of you who engage in that kind of mental circle-jerk are selfish in a murderously irresponsible way. Go spend tonight down at the ER.

So you can see all of the people who have been hit by motorcycles? Are there a lot of those?

Post clipped from a motorcycl board allegedly from the rider:

Here's what the guy that did this said on the www.sportbikes.net forum (KPaul, the guy says he had a nearly bone-stock RC-51, so whatever the cops' error was, it was enough to translate to at least a 40mph error in judgement of speed.)

All right, I was the one who got the ticket and it is time to clear some things up. For one, I was riding a 2003 Honda RC51, "heavily modified" with 2 Brothers slip on pipes and, well thats all the mods I have unless you count the "I stop for wh***s" sticker. Next, the bike wasn't impounded, it was towed so it wouldn't be in the roadway. Ok, on to the tickets. 205...uh no. I am personal friends with the owner of "Hitman Motorsports" and tonight, Sept. 22, we did a top speed run on his dyno, in 6th gear, and maxed nearly 60mph slower than I was arrested for. The "no motorcycle endorsement" is because my licence was expired, I do have a motorcycle endoresement for all you people digging into me about that. The stop watch method may be accurate at times, but this is un-conceivable for my motorcycle to approach 205. Honda's RC211v, which is Honda's MotoGP race bike, 5 cyclinders and 268 horespower, just broke 200mph on the track within the last week. And we are talking about a 1/2 to 3/4 million dollar bike. And for you gear-heads, I had on Joe Rocket Boots, Shoei helmet, Leather gloves, Ballistic coat, and leather bottoms. Also, both of us were arrested, and no, the slower one did not get a warning, he was ticketed for 111mph on a F4i. I hope this clears things up for everybody, I am just sick of everyone saying things about what they dont know, making me look like this horrific person. People speed, and if anyone knows anything about the "Flood Run" (which was the ride I was on, which by the way benefits the Gillettes Children Fund) I would be a hell of a lot more concerned about the 7,000 bar-hopping motorcyclist out on the road. 99% of the people you hear things from are misinformed. If you have questions, I will answer them. And one last note, this is information you don't know, the pilot who clocked me, was clocking me, the F4i, and flying his plane at 110mph all at the same time. Think about that for a second.