Pete Schoening

mike_m

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they sell these videos? I'd buy one, and I bet plenty of people here would.

In the 19th century, stuff was sometimes published "by subscription." I think John Wesley Powell's grand canyon journals were originally published that way. If the mountaineers were to do something like that, you'd have a POT of money to do the work.

This picture of Pete was taken during the filming of "The Ascent of Lighthouse Tower". This particular image is not shown in the film however.

2002044821.jpg

Here's the tribute from today's Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002045151_schoeningobit24m.html

And here's the one from the P-I:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/connelly/192240_joel24.html

This picture of Pete was taken during the filming of "The Ascent of Lighthouse Tower". This particular image is not shown in the film however.

2002044821.jpg

Here's the tribute from today's Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002045151_schoeningobit24m.html

And here's the one from the P-I:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/connelly/192240_joel24.html

That picture is a classic. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif To all of our climbing pioneers. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif To bravery and courage.

Lowell,

I'd really like to see BOTH of those films. Does one have to be a "mountaineer" to visit the library?

Is there a 16mm projector in the library?

I, also, would gladly make a monetary contribution to get these films transferred to digital format and/or projected somewhere.

Thanks.

I'd really like to see BOTH of those films. Does one have to be a "mountaineer" to visit the library? Is there a 16mm projector in the library?

There is no projector in the library. Projecting the original 16mm films would destroy them fast. That's why we want to transfer them to videotape or DVD to enable people to enjoy them. The library has videotapes of several old films which I think you can check out.

I, also, would gladly make a monetary contribution to get these films transferred to digital format and/or projected somewhere.

I appreciate your support and the willingness of several other people in this thread to chip in to preserve these films. But as you can imagine, going from this expression of support to actually collecting money from you and others is difficult and risky for all concerned.

The best strategy we have thought of is to obtain a grant to preserve the films, then look for ways to repay some or all of the grant, for example by holding a film night and soliciting donations or by selling copies of the films. The Mountaineers do not own the copyrights to every film we have transferred to video. So, anything we do to raise money, we have to do carefully, with the permission of the copyright owners .

If you can think of better strategies, I'm all ears. There are a lot of issues involved. Be aware that I'm coordinating this film preservation for the Mountaineers History Committee as a volunteer effort and I have limited time to devote to it.

I appreciate your support and the willingness of several other people in this thread to chip in to preserve these films. But as you can imagine, going from this expression of support to actually collecting money from you and others is difficult and risky for all concerned.

The best strategy we have thought of is to obtain a grant to preserve the films, then look for ways to repay some or all of the grant, for example by holding a film night and soliciting donations or by selling copies of the films. The Mountaineers do not own the copyrights to every film we have transferred to video. So, anything we do to raise money, we have to do carefully, with the permission of the copyright owners .

If you can think of better strategies, I'm all ears. There are a lot of issues involved. Be aware that I'm coordinating this film preservation for the Mountaineers History Committee as a volunteer effort and I have limited time to devote to it.

Is there a "Friends of the Mountaineers Library"? A group that could be set up formally to collect money for projects such as this, and to ensure independant funding if the Mounties choose no longer to support the library.

Is there a "Friends of the Mountaineers Library"? A group that could be set up formally to collect money for projects such as this, and to ensure independant funding if the Mounties choose no longer to support the library.

As a matter of fact, there is. See this recent thread:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/386230/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

The Friends of the Mountaineers Library is an arm of the Mountaineers Foundation. The idea is to have a way to channel money to the foundation specifically for the library. The Friends concept is new, and doesn't yet replace the funding that was lost this year when the club cut library funding. This year the library requested (and received) a grant from the Foundation to keep running.

There is no equivalent "friends" organization for the Mountaineers history committee, which is the group working on film preservation. Setting one up might be a very good idea. I will raise this topic at our next meeting.

Diverting money from the Friends of the Library (which is already strapped for cash) to history committee projects is probably not the right approach. Setting up a Friends of Mountaineers History conduit could be a good way for people to contribute to this effort.

Thanks for suggesting this idea! (even if not in quite the way you intended)

The Friends of the Mountaineers Library is an arm of the Mountaineers Foundation. The idea is to have a way to channel money to the foundation specifically for the library. ... There is no equivalent "friends" channel for the Mountaineers history committee, which is the group working on film preservation.

As I mentioned in my last message, the Mountaineers history committee will discuss whether creating some sort of "friends" channel with the Mountaineers Foundation would be a good idea. This will take some time. (The committee meets bi-monthly. I think the foundation does too.)

In the meantime, if anybody is serious about supporting preservation of historic Northwest films, there's nothing stopping you from sending a donation to the Mountaineers Foundation. Just send them a note saying you're contributing for Mountaineers history commitee film projects. (Tell 'em Lowell sent you! wink.gif )

Donations are tax deductible and can be sent to The Mountaineers Foundation at P.O. Box 9464, Seattle, WA 98109.