Status of Lost guy in Enchantments

Greg_W

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been overdue about a week (since last Thursday). The sheriff's office located his vehicle at the Colchuk TH last Friday a.m. A team (or two?) was dispatched Saturday to search the area around Stuart Lake. The same team (or another? - hence the earlier parenthetical statement) searched the area around Colchuck Lake. As of yesterday evening, he was still not located. He is being described as "an experienced backpacker". It is unknown if he was intending to climb anything.

Freeman probably has more info. Or he may be out looking for him...

chucK: Don't think so. This guy is apparently alone, and was not listed as overdue until the 16th.

We theorized when searching for him last Sat.-Sun. that since he wasn't a climber, but liked going to lakes and off trail, that he probably got hurt enroute to some of the more isolated lakes rendering him immobile. Since he packed heavy, we hoped he'd be able to make shelter and wait out for the rescue because the weather has been cold and wintery up there. But so far no sign of a tent. The search is still ongoing, but winding down.

A quick call to my sheriff's office indicates that he is indeed alone, is a backpacker, but it is still unclear if he was intending to climb anything or not.

The deputy also said that he was contacted this morning by the Seattle PI about another lone backpacker who went overdue last Saturday near Lake Chelan. This other guy was found in the Lake Chelan/Sawtooths between Boling and Bernese (sp?) Lakes area.

Yea, three different incidents.

The guys on Stuart may have been a day overdue, family went in to "help", mother had to be flow out of Stuart Lk, they walked out.

The missing hiker went in to Lk Stuart or Colchuck on 9/9 to come out the 11th or 12th. Permit was for the lakes but he said he might go into the Enchantments. Search started on the 16th after he was reported overdue and has been ongoing since. A great deal of manpower and support on this one but no sign of him (including gear or camp). The entire Enchantment high country has been searched as well as Stuart and Colchuck high routes, obscure drainages, etc. Efforts are winding down.

The hiker in the Sawtooths was on a solo backbacking trip. I don't know any more that what was in the paper - his body was discovered with his dog.

Obviously the weather has been a little funky in the high country the past two weeks. Whether this has contributed to any of these is unknown right now.

Yea, three different incidents.

The guys on Stuart may have been a day overdue, family went in to "help", mother had to be flow out of Stuart Lk, they walked out.

The missing hiker went in to Lk Stuart or Colchuck on 9/9 to come out the 11th or 12th. Permit was for the lakes but he said he might go into the Enchantments. Search started on the 16th after he was reported overdue and has been ongoing since. A great deal of manpower and support on this one but no sign of him (including gear or camp). The entire Enchantment high country has been searched as well as Stuart and Colchuck high routes, obscure drainages, etc. Efforts are winding down.

The hiker in the Sawtooths was on a solo backbacking trip. I don't know any more that what was in the paper - his body was discovered with his dog.

Obviously the weather has been a little funky in the high country the past two weeks. Whether this has contributed to any of these is unknown right now.

What are the chances of getting information on where they have searched and where there might be reason to search some more? Perhaps some of us with a need to just get out and hike could use the info to informally continue the search.

Hey, Bug, that would be great. I'll PM you the name and phone number of the Incident Commander for the sheriff - you can call him for details. I can also e-mail you a photo but simple description is 47 yo with trimmed greying beard.

What I can tell you in general is that the entire Stuart and Colchuck basins were searched including Mountaineer Creek, Horseshoe Lake and up to Stuart and Goat pass. As far as I know they did not go into the Ingalls Lk side. In addition the Enchantment and Rat Lks, Edwards Mesa, Coney and Cannon Mountains, Hook, Rat and Toketie Creeks, Temple canyons have been checked out by ground and air.

We believe that he was not a "climber" and did not have crampons or ice axe. It is unlikely that he would have gone up Colchuck or Snow Creek Glaciers but I think they were flown over. We think he is carrying a fairly large pack (he bought a gallon of white gas in 11'worth and it was not in his car) and no sign of any camp has been found. His car was at the Stuart trailhead and wallet was in the car. He had called his wife on the thursday he went in and said something about "Colchuck Ridge". Cell phone reception is spotty in all of that area - it is reasonable that he called her between Leavenworth and the trailhead (timing fits).

If anyone sees anything that might be helpful please call the Chelan County Sheriff Office. And thanks to all the volunteers who have worked on this search.

Freeman