Poll: Would you rat on a Wilderness Power Driller?

Lambone

Rat on power Driller?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Rat on power Driller?

"yet you've done so at least twice in the last week."

yeah, but not in this thread.

I'm not afraid to admit that I'd like to know whether the founders of the WCC use power drills in the wilderness. I'll leave it at that.

My assumtion due to the lack of denial is that at least some of them do. i'm not pointing fingers at anyone because I don't know for sure. But I tell you what, if I did know for sure...everyone else would know about it as well. So better not tell Lambone.

Maybe I do have a $1,000 to donate...sure would want to make sure my money was going to a cause I support.

have a nice day

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of interesting ideas and personalities involved in all of this!

Thanks, The 'bone, for bringing up this topic!

Here are a few quotes that caught my interest along with some commentary.

"In a real wilderness you can drill and climb however you like because no one is there to care. Antarctica, the Karakoram, Baffin - walls have bolts." - Warren Hollinger

I care.

So, can I leave all my garbage there because few will likely see it?

I care.

Warren did some giant climbs, but he ain't the king.

"...just don't climb it...let the invalid route rot in obscurity, there action deserves no attention whatsoever..."

That naughty little route on Garfield has sure attracted quite a bit of action!

" believe people should always strive to do climbs in the best style they think possible, but never criticize others for what they choose to do. quote by Tommy Caldwell"

That's the STUPIDEST cliché I've heard since "The best climber is the one having the most fun!" For more similar shallow "inspirational" babblings, read the article on the Dihedral Wall in one of the latest climbing rags. Tommy-baby...stick to climbing them hard-cracks, quit reading those Nike ads and get yourself a home-study philosophy course for your rare day-off.

"Peter Croft just put up a bolted route in an alpine setting in the high sierra ...He climbs for all the right reasons."

And these universally acknowledged right reasons are???? Sad, Peter. Very sad.

"Why shouldn't a climbers group argue for more climbing? Or the ability to place bolts via powerdrill instead of hand drill. Not that currently illegal practices should be ignored, but advocate for changing the law to permit?"

Why argue against power drills??? Haven't you noticed the oppositon among some climbers against such drills and against other forms of bolting??? If there are efforts to change the law to allow power drilling, than I hope there is first a HUGE debate as to the legitimacy of such and similar activities. And I'd like the Fed's to hear BOTH sides of the argument!

- Merv

Edited by MervGriffin

I am contrasting the stand of snowmobile user groups, that campaign for increased terrain for sleds, to mattp's description of the WCC, which apparently exists to work in the other direction, taking policies that land managers set and enforcing them on climbers...

Merv baby! You never quoted me! You taught me this one! I thought this would be at the top of your list!

"Man was not designed to touch every fragment of this earth."

(IOW, bolting allows humans to touch certain areas of this earth they could not do under their own abilities.)

I wouldn't rat on anyone to 'authorities' for anything short of rape or murder.

Now, all apologies to everyone for getting off topic, but...

Stefan: I disagree. I can't count the number of times I've bushwhacked through some super fucked up brush in second growth. Old growth is always better (more open). We would have almost nothing but old growth if not for timber co.'s, right?

I know, I know, the roads that give us access were put there for the timber companies...