One crazy tool

Fromage

The Euros will be plaguing us with their latest ice axe tomfoolery soon, although at this stage I'm not sure you can call this thing an ice axe. Honeys and fellas, take a look at

The Monster

There is a pdf poster you have to download, the actual pics are on page two of this.

Not only is this axe unrated, but it bristles with points on the pick and comes in Star Spangled Banner finish for all you patriotic mixed climbers. Makes all other leashless tools look like Fisher Price toys. This from the same company that still sells a wooden alpenstock:

5.jpg

yelrotflmao.gif

If I can use my secret powers to get my hands on some I'll write a review.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all those pics and not a single one of a person using the tool on ice. WTF?

"recognise the Monster for what it is, not a new ice axe, but the most efficient extension of their own arm for hooking on the most difficult terrains."

Whatever happened to good old fashioned Rock Climbing?

Probly came out with the first prototype in the summer...

available in several colors...

Quote from the site: "Note: This tool is designed for climbers who know how to use them, and recognise the situations appropriate for their use."

Cool! A tool that nobody's used made only for rhose who know how to use it. (Or maybe "them" was a reference to "balls" and then that sentence means something entirely different wink.gif)

drC

• 1 month later...

If you want to learn more about the Monster and why it does not conform to CE standards for ice axes (noted in Fromage's original post) I uploaded a screed to the Articles section at www.grivelnorthamerica.com. The reason few are using the tool on ice is also explained (although Grivel did update their slideshow with some pics of someone using a Monster on ice).

MFT