Ski noob seeks advice

fenderfour

I have never skied or snowboarded before, but I would like to get into it this year. My focus is AT so that a future skiing addiction can assist my current climbing addiction.

Should I buy or rent?

Any recommended equipment? I saw the Dynafit Comforts being recommended on another thread, are they suitable for a beginner?

What kind of costs am I going to incur?

I'm a big guy, I know some gear won't work as well as others. ME: 6'3" 250lbs size 15 feet

I know that these questions don't encompass everything I will need to consider. i'm just trying to get an idea right now.

Thanks y'all

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dynafit Comforts good. You'll hear stuff about being a big guy, and you can't ski them aggressively, and yadda yadda yadda, but it's BS. They are super light, and they work. Get 'em with brakes.

Fritschis are also good for no-brainer entry and exit, and a classic binding feel.

Maybe wait to buy until you know what you want to do. Will you want to approach climbs and not really care about ski performance? Will you want to approach climbs sometimes, and rip it up on the same gear at other times? Will you want to ski Thermogenesis? (Who doesn't? wink.gif )

Learn what kind of skiing you want to do. Don't buy skis until you can make turns and have some idea of what kind of turns interest you. If you'll want to ski resorts on this hypothetical AT setup, I highly recommend some high performance, 4-buckle boots. I have really enjoyed Garmonts. Scarpa makes high performance AT boots, too, but Garmont makes the only high performance, Dynafit-compatible AT boots of which I know.

AT skis can be rented, and sometimes borrowed. I actually have a pair of skis I could loan you that have Fritschis which would work for your gargantuan feet, but you might have to buy me some pitchers for the wear a heavy n00b would put on the beloved Big Stix.

My wife recently learned to ski in the last 4 years. I highly recommend taking a couple private lessons. Within two season she became a competent black diamond skier and is working on backcountry skills with good results. She had her lessons at Mt. Baker. I think a couple of private lessons will slingshot you up the learning curve very fast, at least it did for my wife.

I second the cheap alpine setup (or a cheap alpine ski with your intended bindings)...and a deal on a season pass to a ski area + 1 beginner lesson. The latter two will put you in black diamond terrain very quickly, perhaps within a week or two if you put some time in. By the end of the season you will be bored with lift skiing (if you took advantage of your pass) and the skiing ability will be there to enjoy the b.c. Have fun.

i don't know, b-rock. i know guys who learned on teles in the bc. sure, it may sound like a painful way to learn, but once they get it down they are miles ahead of the guy who started out at the same time as an inbound skier. and just think of all the money he'd save on paying for lift tickets!

an at setup can be an expensive way to go, but if you're not picky about gear you can probably throw together something usable for cheap. especially since you're a guy - lots of those around with used at gear.

higher end new at stuff will run you approx. ...

$400-500 plastic at boots

$400-800 at skis

$300 bindings

then there's skins, poles, ski crampons, pack, avy gear ...

get used gear if you can. shop sierra trading post and evogear and other sites for deals and closeouts on new stuff. i got my at boots for half price directly from bd's site. if you work in the outdoor industry, you can get pro deals from some manufacturers for some things.

if you want it, you will find a way. and ... it's totally worth it!!! thumbs_up.gif

i don't know, b-rock. i know guys who learned on teles in the bc. sure, it may sound like a painful way to learn, but once they get it down they are miles ahead of the guy who started out at the same time as an inbound skier. and just think of all the money he'd save on paying for lift tickets!

I haven't met a very strong skiier who hasn't spent a good deal of time on the lifts at some time in their life. Learning in the backcountry will get you better at BC conditions where you live; it won't necessarily make you a better skiier. You my also end up with some serious technique flaws that will hold you back later.

It's also much easier to hangout with friends at a resort than in the BC (unless they are extremely patient waiting for the slowpoke).

I've always wondered if there are people who don't like skiing. Do they exist?

Yes they do exist.

For the most part they aren't worth knowing.

Definitely do not make the mistake of dating one hellno3d.gif

yellaf.gifthumbs_up.gif

not saying it's better not to take your time learning, just saying you don't have to spend lots of money at a resort to do so. if you really want to do it right, you will take time to learn the right way - which means taking real lessons from real instructors. you can tell who's had some good instruction and who hasn't. do you just want to do it ... or do you want to do it with style? wink.gif

when i first started skiing, i went out and bought. you can get a really cheap downhill setup if you shop around - closeout boots, cheap-ass skis, inexpensive bindings. probably spend just as much on that as you would renting gear for a season and that way you can use it whenever you want and don't have to worry about skiing over rocks. (which is really fun, by the way! evils3d.gif)

mmm ... snow ... mmm. fruit.gif

I spent three years trying to learn tele in the backcountry without ever going on a lift or taking a lesson.

I don't recommend this as a way of learning. Period.

The frustration curve is very high. I'm the same height as you but considerably thinner (200lbs) and I think in this sport, height is a disadvantage. I've broken three ski poles, ripped out bindings, etc. Don't try to teach yourself in the BC. Anyone who goes out with you will quickly grow tired of your sorry ass and leave you playing catch-up.

Save yourself some time, effort and pain: borrow/rent the shit and spend your days on the groomers with an instructor. After my third year of trying to learn on my own I finally started hitting the groomers and my skills improved. Taking a lesson helped tremendously. In fact, I plan on taking more lessons. Or swith to AT.

Thats my $.02.

You can pick up tele really easily if you are good at alpine skiing. Or you can start with tele. Either way, I really think laps at a resort will get you on track faster than dealing with wind-blown sastrugi in the b.c. It can be a pain to get that muscle memory working for you when you're faceplanting every 10 feet in crust.

It's quite possible to learn just in the backcountry but I think you'll improve faster and have a better time doing it inbounds. Just don't get stuck inbounds. One of the most important bc skiing skills is survival skiing, not the pretty carving you see the racers doing up at Timberline. Being able to ski rolling hills in brush, and carting weight along with you are both things you won't learn at the resort. Some of those hotshot racers are miserable in the bc! (Most pick it up pretty damn fast though, and are quickly kicking your ass)

The key to learning any kind of skiing is to have someone along who not only is a good skier, but is also very good at explaining what you are doing wrong or right. There's always that little something in technique or mental attitude that is holding you back. The goal is to find that person who can observe your skiing and explain to you that key to unlocking the door to the next level. Often times, that is a paid instructor. If you're fortunate, it's a friend of yours. There are really good skiers out there who can't teach at all.

I would go with some cheap gear at first, and make sure you get a ski with a solid topsheet! Tuas are out!