Obligatory pre-season AT binding discussion...

Greg_W

So, I'm new and looking for bindings for a pair of Fischer Tourlite skis. I really like the Dynafit system, but there are several models to choose from (not to mention colors). As far as usage goes, it'll mostly be backcountry but I might hit the groomed shit a bit, as well. Dynafit has a "Tourlite" binding, but is it light and less burly? I could use some help. Thanks.

Greg_W

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you go with the dynafits, buy the dynafit comforts...it has the benefit of being able to adjust to fit a few different sizes of boots, the standard dynafits cannot be adjusted so if you switch boots at some point in the future you'd have to remount your bindings.

Depending on how big you are and how arrgressively you ski, dynafits are fine for occational in-bounds use, I've heard that one can pre-release out of dynafits if the skis are over-flexed and the recoil quickly (such as landing a jump)...you can pop out of the heel pin.

I think most folks agree that Dynafits see far less breakage than all other AT bindings. IMHO they are stronger than any of the Fritchi bindings, though I guess Freerides do have a higher DIN setting, right?

The biggest hassle with the Dynafits is that it is difficult if not impossible to switch from downhill mode to tour mode without clicking out of the binding completely, this is something you don't have to worry about with the Fritschis or any other step-in AT binding.

just my two cents...

I'm far from an expert on AT stuff, but from one relative noob to another, I'll tell you I went with Fritschi's just b/c they are so much less futzy. Easier in and out, easier to switch b/t modes. I also figured they'd harder to break, but as others have stated I think I was wrong about that. (I think that the type of forces that would break a "normal" binding will just cause a release with the Dynafits. Is the weight savings worth the futz factor? Up to you

I'll give a thumbs_up.gif to the Dynafits, I have the Tri-Steps. I've done some fairly aggressive skiing in them, inbounds and out and never had a problem, other than the little knob on the back that serves as the heal lift (they've made this much sturdier on the newer models) which was easy to replace. Once I got used to them I found them just as easy to get in and out of as my downhill setup. I still get a little sketched sometimes because they just don't look strong (though neither do old-school downhill bindings) but I have since trusted them in many 'no fall' situations.

For a light ski and mostly backcountry, I would personally go with Dynafit Comforts with brakes.

That'd be a sweet setup no doubt - it's what I want to add to my Crossbows. It's also a bloody fortune. $380 for ski bindings! No F'in way when you can get Diamirs for half that.

i would love to get a pair of dynafits and some superlight midfat skis for longer touring ... but for most of the stuff i've done my naxo's have been better than fine. they are as bomber as any downhill bindings i've used (maybe even more so than some) and they have a much better feel. unfortunately my current at set-up is heavier than my downhill one! (damned fat skis!!!)

OMFG TLG lives!!!

I've got a set of K2 8611's with Dynafit Tourlites and they were sweet all of last season in CO and on the volcanoes this spring/summer. The lightness factor is great for climbing, but not so great for skiing. I'm stepping up to some fat skis with Fritchies(sp?) so I can be a total guber with a ski for everything and no$$$.

if I was going to have one set up only I would get fat skis with bomber bindings. Have fun Gregg.

I have dynafits on BD Mira's & Volkl NJ Mountains. The Mira's are for winter, while the Volkl's lite weight are perfect for spring/summer outings. As others have said, they're a little fiddly,but imho well worth the effort to learn their idiosyncrasies.

If you're going to ski dynafits much at ski areas, the biggest negative I've found is getting the wider skis on edge. The play between binding & boot, combined with a softer AT boot makes hard edging more challenging.

Also, I'm not a brake fan. Just adds weight in my opinion - however, I don't fall very much. They're probably a good idea if your skis come off a lot.

If you're going to ski dynafits much at ski areas, the biggest negative I've found is getting the wider skis on edge. The play between binding & boot, combined with a softer AT boot makes hard edging more challenging.

confused.gif My Dynafits have less play than my Freerides's & Silvretta's, and I find they ski better. Supposedly some German Climbing/Skiing mag did a review and marked Dynafit's the best AT bind for skiing performance.

confused.gif My Dynafits have less play than my Freerides's & Silvretta's, and I find they ski better. Supposedly some German Climbing/Skiing mag did a review and marked Dynafit's the best AT bind for skiing performance.

I wasn't comparing them to other AT bindings, since I haven't skied them at ski areas. More pointing out the difference in feel between the dynafits and alpine bindings. Actually, now that I think about it, I also can edge harder my Hammerhead tele bindings than on the dynafits.

It should be said that a guy in a group at Fairy Meadows with me the other year kept releasing on every other kickturn with his Dynafits. Not sure what was wrong with them but it was a real bummer. His ass was saved by an old pair of K2 Merlins w/404's that we brought as an emergency pair. Pilot error maybe, but I've seen it a few times before. That said I'd love a pair. I use Freerides right now, and on a pair of Atomics, it's a hefty weight on the pack for sure.

It should be said that a guy in a group at Fairy Meadows with me the other year kept releasing on every other kickturn with his Dynafits.

guess this is turning into the Obligatory pre-season Dynafit binding discussion...

That guys experience is part of the "fiddly nature" of dynafits - almost everyone goes thru it. The main reason is when in the touring mode, people lever the toe piece up a couple of notches and think it's locked - it's not. You have to lever it up 4 - 5 clicks before it's fully locked out. A secondary reason is if snow builds up in the pocket below the ball of the foot, then the springed toe clamp can't engage completed.

Everytime I've heard of someone having problems, it's been one of these 2 reason - usually the first.

It should be said that a guy in a group at Fairy Meadows with me the other year kept releasing on every other kickturn with his Dynafits.

Was he in ski or skin mode? Above comments are spot on for tour mode.

However if he was in ski mode, you cant kick in your tails to kick turn because over cambering the ski causes the pins to release in the back sending you onto your face. I know most people dont kick in there tails, but there are times when safty and security demands it. This is by far my biggest complaint about them.

However if he was in ski mode, you cant kick in your tails to kick turn because over cambering the ski causes the pins to release in the back sending you onto your face. I know most people dont kick in there tails, but there are times when safty and security demands it. This is by far my biggest complaint about them.

Doesn't that demand on how good a job the ski shop did on alignment? I've seen somepairs with barely enough clearance for the boot to squeeze by (i.e. alot of pin in the boot), and some with alot more room (less pin in the boot). Would also be dependant on how soft your ski is. Mine seem to stay on no matter what, jumps, etc.

I have the most recent ones with the longer pins. And have actually moved the heals even further forward than Dynafit recommends. But you can only go so far and still be able to use them in tour mode on the lowest riser setting.

I think some of the increase in trouble is the extra torque created by having Twin Tips (BD Havoc's).

You can also retrofit any of the Dynafit bindings with the longer pins, just order them from Life-Link. It does affect your release settings though so if your a stickler for accurate dins you'll need to have them bench tested to set the release values on both axis.

I more or less ski on Dynafit tourlight bindings all the time(that's at ski areas too). I've got them mounted to some K2 skis, and I use Dynafit boots with a stiffer Garmont liner.

I've found that my present set up is more burly than my old set up with Fritchi bindings (I cracked the toe plate on those).

I bought my set up with long tours in mind. It's true that it lacks the weight and rigidity to be a great ski area set up, but I figure I'm spending my time in a ski area logging downhill practice time for the bc.