hooking

hendorama

I have been climbing for a while, but have heard some people recently talking about going hooking when it is raining, and sometimes using hooking through a burly part of a climb or something. I have never done any kind of aid climbing so I am a newbie in this arena. What are peoples take on hooking as a pastime or a crutch?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if the routes he likes are in fact choss piles, then that is fine form. hooks on occassion do blow out/chip holds. i wouldn't get on any classic lines as you could end up making some enemies (if they are out in the rain and notice, or your silly enough to talk about hooking up an established free climb).

If you just go "hooking", not aid climbing, in the rain it probably means you are hooking up a sport route with closely spaced bolts to catch you if you whip. I'm all in favour of that. If you bust off a hold it will infuriate the stick-clippers and they'll get their lycra knotted.

I have been climbing for a while, but have heard some people recently talking about going hooking when it is raining, and sometimes using hooking through a burly part of a climb or something. I have never done any kind of aid climbing so I am a newbie in this arena. What are peoples take on hooking as a pastime or a crutch?

I have to hook sometimes when my man is in Iraq and blows all his cash on street walkers on leave in Kuwait.

but seriously laugh.gif why not? grin.gif

See above for a schematic of proper hooking technique and gear.

In this diagram, the climber is hooking an established 'clean' route, thus the extra equipment (gun, to silence sprayers).

Hook safely; wear a helmet.

yelrotflmao.gif

The funny thing is, when I was a kid I thought that's how people climbed stuff...by tossing up a grappling hook and climbing the rope hand over hand.