[TR] Haida Gwaii- Some Bushwack 9/13/2004

Dru

Climb: Haida Gwaii-Some Bushwack

Date of Climb: 9/13/2004

Trip Report:

I went to work on these islands off the coast of Northern BC for a couple of days.

The highest mountain is like 4000' but treeline is at 2000' so there is some very low alpine.

I saw salmon spawning on an old logging road...they must have been desperate!

Fallow deer have been introduced to the island. The bears only eat fish so the deer have no predators as the islands are too far out at sea to have cougars or wolves. [Either that or they used to have them but they went extinct. Don't know for sure]. These deer are everywhere. We saw like 30-50 a day. Hunter take note the bag limit was recently revised upwards from 10 a year to 15 a year. The browse pressure is so intense, devils' club ("tsi'liihn jaaw" in Haida) is considered an endangered species worthy of protection.....

The rock is pretty crappy. Pillow lava and sea floor sediments mostly, some limestone, little bit of granite. I did scope one clean looking 400m wall with chimneys across a bay. It might be horribly loose. I found a little bit of beach bouldering but hardly destination bouldering area unless you like limpets!

357rain3-med.JPG

357rain2-med.JPG

357rain1-med.JPG

I would go back. The surf is rad. The whole area seemed like Tofino before the rich New Agers moved in.

Gear Notes:

Rain gear, rented 4wd.

Approach Notes:

Pot holed logging roads. 6 hr ferry or 2 hr plane ride. Wet bushwacks. No devils club but lots of alder!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They said there is only snow down to the ground for a week per year.

The snow just hovers above the ground for the rest of the year eh?

Masset annual precip 100cm/yr rain (40"), 28cm/yr snow (11"); ave temp in winter 4ºC; only 20 days frost per year.

unlikely to become an ice climbing mecca unless the Japanese current fails...