My Deal...

layton

Gotten some "hate" and "flame" mail over the past couple years. Usually I don't care, but just to set the record straight, here's my deal:

I love climbing. I love everything about it. I may write my TR's a little agro' sometimes, but climbing can feel like war at times, and I try to convey that. I don't even pretend to think I'm am anywhere near a world-class climber. Shit, I pull on gear constantly.

More importantly, I want people to try and realize they can push themselves, whether it's reccomending something be done in a day, or a harder or more obscure route than they're used to. This can and probably does come off as very elitist. This doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone, there are hundres of climbers who can totally put me to shame. I just want to see our PNW climbing community to come out of it's slumber and become more than we are now.

Of course I write way too many trip reports. Why? Do i want the whole world to know "what I've done". Maybe, but over the past few years I've been doing random routes that I would've loved some beta on. I wish everyone would write TR's on what they've done.

I guess my self-deprecating sense of humor isn't always understood. If i write about a 5.10d X first asecent or something, I honestly am not trying to show off. I hate X and R pitches. And if it was a good one, I want folks to have as much fun on it as I did.

I also know lots of folks here personally, so some of my chiding can come off looking pretty bad if you don't know the backstory.

Finally, screw you clownpuchers, I'm off to the sunny Sierras then back to school. moon.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why are you analyzing yourself...here? feeling guilty about something?

since you seem to be somewhat serious in your post, I'll give you a somewhat serious reply...

Mike I appreciate alot of the stuff and TR's you post here and I think it's cool you are agro and fired up. Kinda jealous actually, I can't seem to get fired up about climbing at all lately.

The only thing you ever post that gets my goat, and I have seen it several times, sometimes directed towards me....

Is when someone posts about a climb they did or their plans, and you come back with this sort of attitude that reads like "wtf, you couldn't do it in a day?" and "when we did it car to car...blahblahblah."

It just sort of beliddles other peoples acomplishments.

But it's not eve you specificaly. It's the whole climbing scene in general. it's like if you aren't doing it faster, lighter, or in some better style then those who preceded you then your climb is worthless, something to be ashamed of rather then prowd of.

The whole scene in Yosemite is the epidomy of this, but it spreads throughout.

Reminds me of a Miles Smart slideshow i saw at VW once where he was saying stuff like "climbing is all about style, it doesn't matter if you make it to the top, it's all about the style of the ascent." then proceded to indirectly call people who slog up volcanoes and big walls lame.

This is just totaly BS and pretty much makes me sick. It is such an obvious sign of Ego, look at how much better I am than you, hope my sponsors notice.

Really turns me off from climbing in general. Doesn't get me psyched or motivated at all. So you may think that your attitude, whatever you have made it to be, is trying to benefit the community...but some may not see it that way at all, quite the opposite.

Anyway, we've never met, so I refrain from making judgedments towards you. Have fun and climb safe bro, keep the psych.

Bone

It's hard to tell if someone is being an ego-freak by saying, "do it car to car," etc... or just being honest about what they think the best way to climb something is. Miles Smart was a dick to me both times I've met him. Total elitist, who are you, why should I bother talking to you.

I have been a dick like that too on this site. I am appologizing for that. If I said the same thing in person, it would'va come out TOTALLY different. That's the problem with the internet and using your real name! I appreciate, Lambone, that you mentioned you haven't met me so can't really judge.

I don't have enough money to be an elitist anyway. Take Dean Potter. I don't know him, and he does HUGE shit REALLY FAST and is amazing. You know all the shit he's done. But, i can tell that he doesn't care if take 7 hours to climb a pitch of 4th class. I like those folks cuz they push themselves, and push the entire climbing community without saying, "i'm soo cool and sponsored and you are slow and a gaper" as the seattle rich-boys who climb hard sound like.

Then again, I will continue to mock mass herd climbing with way too much shit. Those people are annoying to everyone in the mountains. And if I do something I am proud of, I'm gonna spray cuz I'm that type of person.

this kind of shit makes me laugh. climbing is inherently a selfish pursuit. no one is saving lives or forests or profoundly increasing our understanding of the universe or the human condition by doing it. to me, it's quite pointless who does anything faster, or lighter, or with more 'style'. that said, have fun in the sierras. it's the only thing about california that i miss.

... Is when someone posts about a climb they did or their plans, and you come back with this sort of attitude that reads like "wtf, you couldn't do it in a day?" and "when we did it car to car...blahblahblah."

It just sort of beliddles other peoples acomplishments.

But it's not eve you specificaly. It's the whole climbing scene in general. it's like if you aren't doing it faster, lighter, or in some better style then those who preceded you then your climb is worthless, something to be ashamed of rather then prowd of.

The whole scene in Yosemite is the epidomy of this, but it spreads throughout.

do first ascents to avoid this problem.

Also, I totally agree with many of the posts here, climbing is about pushing oneself...the attention you receive from outside is superficial and will become stale with time. but the confidence you gain from pushing yourself to the limit mentally and physically will stay with you for life.

Then again, I will continue to mock mass herd climbing with way too much shit. Those people are annoying to everyone in the mountains. And if I do something I am proud of, I'm gonna spray cuz I'm that type of person.

That's weak, dude. Making fun of somebody for doing something that they take personal satisfaction in just makes you look small, not them. Sure, I'm not personally a fan of hauling tons of shit up something, but I'd rather see a couple of folks having fun doing that than feeling they aren't good enough for somebody else's standards.

My friend guided a group of breast cancer survivors up mount baker this summer. As a guided climb they obviously took lots of stuff and went slow. I bet summiting Baker meant the world to some of them.

I know where you you're coming from, cause I've been quick to toss shit about how other people have been doing stuff, even if in jest. I just try to remind myself that if they aren't doing me harm, then their reason for being there is just as good to them as my reason is to me.

Automatically Generated Foreign Troll Reply:

Is this some kind of fuckin' therapy thread? Your shrink told you to atone for your errant ways by 'fessing up and reaping the near certain affirming thumbs up stories that validate your being?

You lot suck you soft bunch of pansy yanks!!! boxing_smiley.gif

Who the fuck do you think you are Micheal_Layton. You come onto this innocent climbing board, and give these outlandishly lavishly cut little trip reports that are way above my head. You should stop writing TR's because I suck, and am jealous, and i feel inferior because I am unhappy.

FUCK THE NAY SAYERS, SERIOUS BULLSHIT. "Fuck this noise I am going climbing"

Maybe it is good karma or something, cause now you always have the personal anguish stoke to fall back on when you epic on DarkStar hahaha.gif

Life is Good, give lots of blood for the team in Cali.

rockband.gif