Roller Skis for Training

bubblebutt

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair. Good training for nordic skiing and a decent workout. Much better at skate skiing than classic, but you need a fairly wide lane that's low traffic and well paved (the short wheels don't handle bumps well). I don't use mine much anymore.

New you can buy them from Reliable Racing or other such places, they aren't worth the $$ (~$300 w/bindings) unless you are a hardcore Nordic dude. Used you can find them for <$100 on rec.nordic or the like (which I did). Make sure you get a pair of road pole ends for your nordic poles as well - pavement eats the tips.

I have a pair. Good training for nordic skiing and a decent workout. Much better at skate skiing than classic, but you need a fairly wide lane that's low traffic and well paved (the short wheels don't handle bumps well). I don't use mine much anymore.

New you can buy them from Reliable Racing or other such places, they aren't worth the $$ (~$300 w/bindings) unless you are a hardcore Nordic dude. Used you can find them for <$100 on rec.nordic or the like (which I did). Make sure you get a pair of road pole ends for your nordic poles as well - pavement eats the tips.

Are you interested in selling yours?

Also are they compatible with NNN-BC Boots?

Make sure you get ones that roll ok. I used to have this pair of V2s which were deathly slow to ski on.

They probably have worn out/gunked up bearings in the wheels. Like my rollerskis currently do. To really fix this you have to replace the wheels (about $120ish). I might be willing to sell mine (mounted with NNN something) - how much $?

Personally, I think you'd get a better general workout if you just used rollerblades with poles. I'm pretty sure you are limited to the trad style of cross country skiing with the roller skis. Blades will simulate skate skiing more. Probably cheaper too.

Rollerblades simulate skate skiing more than skate boots on roller skis confused.gif You aren't at all limited to classic on roller skis - unless you buy classic only roller skis. You can also buy skate roller skis or combo roller skis. Rollerblades are a cheaper solution (only if you have them), but not better - Rollerblades are higher & stiffer, and unless you shell out big $ don't have the glide of roller skis.

If they have roller skis that you can skate on, then I agree. I don't know what bubblebutt is trying to acomplish, train for cross country skiing or just get a good workout. Where I live there are lots of hills, so I find blades more versatile. Roller skis don't simulate cc skiing any better than roller blades simulate ice skating. The friction coefficient difference between rubber and pavement and steel (& petex) and snow/ice changes everything.

The great thing about both is the fact you are using your upper body to get a full body workout. I think blades are more versatile in that if you want to not use your poles for awhile, it's easier to keep going, especially uphill. Safer downhill too.