Bears at Beacon

JosephH

Jim O. and I were out yesterday and were up on the "ledge" when I happen to look down at the strip between the tracks and the river and saw 4 black shapes moving east on the single track trail through the grass. At first I thought they were moving fast for cows, then they were the wrong shape for cows, then maybe they were pigs, then wolves, and finally it dawns on me that it's a mother bear and three healthy sized cubs!

We watched momma lead them to a point about 100 yards east of the SE corner and then she took them up and over the tracks presumably back up to near where we park on the road on their way back up the mountain. Maybe she brought them down to the river to teach them to fish or something. Another couple was up on the ledge that had returned from the valley and were just lamenting they hadn't seen any bears - only to see them here. Pretty exciting anyway, made our day, and was a real treat.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim O. and I were out yesterday and were up on the "ledge" when I happen to look down at the strip between the tracks and the river and saw 4 black shapes moving east on the single track trail through the grass. At first I thought they were moving fast for cows, then they were the wrong shape for cows, then maybe they were pigs, then wolves, and finally it dawns on me that it's a mother bear and three healthy sized cubs!

We watched momma lead them to a point about 100 yards east of the SE corner and then she took them up and over the tracks presumably back up to near where we park on the road on their way back up the mountain. Maybe she brought them down to the river to teach them to fish or something. Another couple was up on the ledge that had returned from the valley and were just lamenting they hadn't seen any bears - only to see them here. Pretty exciting anyway, made our day, and was a real treat.

Soooo schweet! Thanks for sharing. I've seen a Beaver swimming by and a deer swim out to that island, but no bear out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Karsten and I were out yesterday and Karsten spotted one of the cubs playing and sunning along the tracks at their RR crossing about a 100 yards east of the SE corner. The cubs were sticking pretty close to Mama last time. This one seemed pretty happy to just be hanging out sunning itself (until a train came along - then he scampered back down by the little lake...

Karsten and I were out yesterday and Karsten spotted one of the cubs playing and sunning along the tracks at their RR crossing about a 100 yards east of the SE corner. The cubs were sticking pretty close to Mama last time. This one seemed pretty happy to just be hanging out sunning itself (until a train came along - then he scampered back down by the little lake...

I wonder if that might have just been Hanger skinny dippping in the Columbia River which is of course right there. He's got the hair on the back thing goin no?

Common mistake. cool.gif Very understandable. cantfocus.gif

• 3 weeks later...