[TR] Porcupine Peak- swamp creek trail 9/12/2004

layton

Climb: Porcupine Peak-swamp creek trail

Date of Climb: 9/12/2004

Trip Report:

Note to climbers: the north face of porcupine peak is huge, granite, slabby, and mostly worthless. There are a couple really steep (vertical) 700 cliffs WAY up above some exciting slabs and gullies. Then there is the "see-tru" couloir, which is a vertical gully that is see-thru about 1/2 way up. Good views of Tower, Hardy, and Golden Horn, and of course Goode across the way.

BUT....there is HUGE ice potential in winter.

There is a great trail up swamp creek not marked on any map that I could find. Besides being a trail, it has liberal amounts of blue flagging tape. Actually, a ridiculous amount. The trial starts on the far west end of the Swamp Creek Pullout. It's about 1500' and 2 miles to the cirque and is pretty neat.

Gear Notes:

remote vision

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, it was too steep to scramble around solo.

I hate to say it, but bolts would seem to be the pro i'd want if I was gonna climb that. There also are no lines that "stand out" pretty wandering.

Anyway, I'm glad that others had noticed this wall and I saved some folks from scopin' in vain.

I won't be able to for a couple years, but somebody should go here in winter on when it's very cold. lots of smears and gullies. only an hour from the road (if you can get to that point on the road...)

There is one upper tower (i'll post a pic in october when I develop my film) that may be good, but it's on top of 600' of shitty slabs and dead vertical. Looked blank, but I didn't have binocs, so it may have something on it. Looks exactly like the W.face of N.E.W.S. except steeper.

I'm not positive what the dark cliffs are in front of Kololo Peaks. Based on straight-line & angular measurements, those peaks are in the vicinity of Sitting Bull Mountain (7,759 ft) near Suiattle Pass.

At right is Agnes Mountain (8,115 ft). In front of Glacier is what I believe is Bannock Mountain (7,760+ ft). Corteo Peak is closer to the camera at extreme right. Gunsight Peak is at extreme right on the horizon.

• 10 years later...

I think to do that route justice someone who's a mix between a Yosemite free climber, and a Cascadian Mountaineer, no ice, no bolts, a few cams, and 9.2 mm 50 meter rope. Then you would end up with a route to rival maybe even Hozomeen Southwest Buttress, if done right it should be grade IV+.