Digital Cameras

mattp

I just heard a rumor that mags are requiring 5mps now. I looked at some submission guidelines and am not seeing it, but if anyone has heard of specific pubs that require that, please speak up.

I don't want to spend an extra c on an extra MP unless it is necessary for that purpose.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got the olympus stylus 410. start up is quick, 3x optical zoom, wx proof burly gaskets around opening compartments, sliding lense cover seems quite substantial, very compact, 20 sec vids w/decent audio. haven't found anything to complain about, yet.

957_top1.jpg

I got one of these too. I love it. Very light. Takes a beating. Takes good pictures. Good battery life.

I have one complaint, and that is that the battery "door" doesn't latch very securly. I put a piece of tape over these when I'm out on the rock and its fine. I highly reccomend this camera.

I just heard a rumor that mags are requiring 5mps now. I looked at some submission guidelines and am not seeing it, but if anyone has heard of specific pubs that require that, please speak up.

I don't want to spend an extra c on an extra MP unless it is necessary for that purpose.

Not exactly an easy question to answer, since not all publications even embrace digitally captured images today. A good bet though, is whatever someone thinks is "just good enough" today, will not commercially be worth the price of the bargain CD its burned on in a relatively short period of time. Also if you are concerned about maintaining quality, you should probably be thinking about RAW files too. The best quality you can use now extends the usable lifespan of your photo inventory.

Beyond that, here is an organization that is working on getting folks to talk about standards more:

http://www.disc-info.org/specifications/

• 1 month later...

Matt, I will recommend AGAINST the HP Photosmart Digicam...I should have done more research before buying mine. It sucks up battery life even when turned off, so I go through batteries like crazy. My prints are awesome, and ease of downloading and printing are great, but I would not buy this camera again.

Hohm, I was talking with a pro photog a while back and he said what they use is umbilical type battery pack for sub zero shots. After some discussion we hatched an idea for a few radio shack parts and some time that would make a battery pack that plugs into the AC in port so that the batteries stay warm. I'm going to try it out and I will post a report on how well it works when you get into the cold.

The Canon A95 and S70 are my two prime contenders now...

Both have great image qualities. Good reviews at dpreview.com.

A95:

+ 5 Mp

+ Uses regular AA batteries (x4).

+ Swivel LCD screen

- A bit more weight (might be a plus for stability)

- Less MP

S70:

+ 7 MP (can crop heavily and still have good prints)

+ True wide angle (eq. 28mm-100mm)

- No swivel LCD

- Proprietaty battery (though clones are cheap and it's lightweight)

drC

drC

one of the problems with using disposable batteries is you can get much better power out of after market li-ion batteries.

Most of the li-ion batteries that come with cameras suck, but you can get AMAZING ones individually. I've had the same battery in my camera for 3 weeks, have taken over 500 pics with it, and its still at full strength.

I'd still push ya for a digislr if you're serious about your pics, but money is a hard issue

here are some shots I took off my porch tonight:

zero_friction_pic_10043.jpg

zero_friction_pic_10042.jpg

no photshopping or anything, straight off the camera

Matt, I will recommend AGAINST the HP Photosmart Digicam...I should have done more research before buying mine. It sucks up battery life even when turned off, so I go through batteries like crazy. My prints are awesome, and ease of downloading and printing are great, but I would not buy this camera again.

Mine was a gift, and I would also give it a thumbs_down.gif Eats batteries like jules says. The software that came with it for d/l pics and whatever also blew goats (would never function on my computer) and I ended up buying a card and card reader to get around that problem. It's also kind of bulky.