Alcohol and nalgene

chirp

Does anyone have any container recommendations for transporting alcohol (whisky/rum/vodka). I am doing a 7 day backpacking trip and am debating using the glass container OR like a nalgene lexan bottle and I couldnt find any beta on Nalgenes site regarding that. cry.gif

What do the pros use? What do the pros drink?

Gonna prob be having 151 and cocoa for the bulk of the trip unless one of you has some stellar recipe. cantfocus.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always used soda bottles...

The recent scare over drinking/eating out of plastic had me thinking about what alternatives might be. It seems that the Sigg bottles have a "taste-inert, food compatible stove enamel which is baked on." thumbs_up.gif Seems like it should be good for booze. I don't know where to buy them though, other than in Europe.

Sigg website >english>sigg>production>

Empty gatorade jugs are cheap and easy to get. Take the money you save from not buying a nalgene and spend it on good booze - try Appleton Estate or Barbancort Rum, or if you want high test go for the 100+ proof (I forget how strong it is) Black Seal cantfocus.gif .

Life's too short to dink cheap booze- unless thats all there is...

If you look up "polycarbonate" (Lexan) and "alcohol, ethyl" in the Chemical Compatibilty Web Page, you will find that the rating is Good meaning "Minor Effect, slight corrosion or discoloration." Polypropylene rates Excellent with ethyl alcohol, but only Fair with gasoline.

CBS-

Nalge's CC page lists the following

"Ethanol, 40% - Alcohol, Aliphatic

HDPE at 20C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

HDPE at 50C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

LDPE at 20C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

LDPE at 50C ..... Little or no damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

PC at 20C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

PC at 50C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

PP at 20C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

PP at 50C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

Ethanol, 70% - Alcohol, Aliphatic

HDPE at 20C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

HDPE at 50C ..... Little or no damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

LDPE at 20C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

LDPE at 50C ..... Little or no damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

PC at 20C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

PC at 50C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

PP at 20C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

PP at 50C ..... No damage after 30 days of constant exposure. "

PC= Polycarbonate

PP=Polypropylene

PE=Polyethylene Low & High Density

I like the .5 liter platypus flexable bottles. There is a polyethelene liner inside, in turn there is not a funky taste to the booze.

These work great. I have a couple different ones for specific booze. The bottle also pack down well.

Yup. I have a 1L platy that is dedicated to red wine. Those fucks at Bumbershoot tried to take it from me, but I gave them "what for". boxing_smiley.gif

For sipping good scotch, the .6 liter Sigg drink bottle is the way to go. The simple yet elegant mechanics of unscrewing the top aid in the contemplation of a fine sunset, and the pleasantly finished metal body cozies up nicely in your hand. Best of all, it won't ever leak in your pack and it is, as Snoboy noted, coated with an inside finish specifically designed to hold liquor. If you happen to be out with the Mountaineers, it looks like a fuel bottle and they won't take it away from you in the parking lot.

For backpacking, the platypus or equivalent seems the best way to go. It weighs very little and flattens to almost nothing once you empty it.