Judges

eternalX

With this latest Serena controversy and all the stuff during the Olympics, I'm a little confused on why they even use humans as judges. Every human is going to make a mistake once in a while, especially when it comes to judging how close a ball came to a line and there's a slow motion instant replay available with computer generated helper features. Then, they take it all out on the judge for making one mistake on one volley out of several thousand. WTF?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The imperfections are what make sports fun to watch and play.

Years of competitive soccer taught me half the game is influencing refs to be on your side.

I got banned from co-rec for smacking a ref. I realize now that physical intimidation doesn't work when trying to change a ref's decision. blush.gif

The imperfections are what make sports fun to watch and play.

Years of competitive soccer taught me half the game is influencing refs to be on your side.

I got banned from co-rec for smacking a ref. I realize now that physical intimidation doesn't work when trying to change a ref's decision. blush.gif

boxing_smiley.gifA guy on one of my teams did the same thing, and got 2 years probation, mega community service, huge fine, criminal record, oh and he got banned from the league. And I think someone keyed his car.

You definatly came out better. tongue.gif

Chris Everett and Martina Navratilova played a demonstration match in Halifax some 6 or 7 (?) years ago, testing an automatic line-call system. There was an electronic grid laid along the side and base lines, and the ball had fine copper wires mixed in with the usual fuzzy stuff. If the ball landed out of bounds a bell rang or a red light flashed or something - pretty simple, really. As I recall, it worked well, and there was talk of employing it in tournaments on a trial basis, but nothing seems to have come of it.

But maybe it's just as well - there's no enjoyment in watching John McEnroe screaming at a little black box next to the water cooler.

Chris Everett and Martina Navratilova played a demonstration match in Halifax some 6 or 7 (?) years ago, testing an automatic line-call system. There was an electronic grid laid along the side and base lines, and the ball had fine copper wires mixed in with the usual fuzzy stuff. If the ball landed out of bounds a bell rang or a red light flashed or something - pretty simple, really. As I recall, it worked well, and there was talk of employing it in tournaments on a trial basis, but nothing seems to have come of it.

But maybe it's just as well - there's no enjoyment in watching John McEnroe screaming at a little black box next to the water cooler.

This kind of system has been in place at Wimbledon for years.