Ice-Sporto Litter

MervGriffin

At least your not posting your stupid photos. Too bad you choose to respond in the unreadable MtGoat fashion.

I can fix that, if you like. Does this look familiar?

bully.jpg

I don't think I need to know in detail what you've been doing recently to say that you don't climb much. If you did climb a lot you be either out doing it and not posting here.

It's Saturday morning. You're on the internet. You're not climbing. yellaf.gif

or post trip reports or participate in other climbing related threads that don't have anything to do with bolting.

That's simply untrue.

I do remember seeing you a lot at Index in the early 90's. Every time I'd walk by the lower wall you'd be solo aiding City Park. You didn't seem to have much issues with the bolt ladder at the bottom.

Interesting. Since I've only soloed City Park ONCE and that was after I bought a Solo-aid device around the year 2000. Every time you walked along the wall, eh? With your laser-like memory, you watched and now recall all the big excitement! I don't really climb much at Index. Actually, I do have a problem with the bolt ladder on City Park. It is over-bolted and probably at least half of them can be skipped. What you don't seem to understand is that I don't think bolts should be completely banned; they have their rare place, but I do think that they are regularly being used with callous disregard for the fact that they are permanent alterations.

Anyway please answer the questions.

Have you ever directly contacted folks who are out setting bolted routes?

Nope. I'm not interested in finding them or dealing with them. I prefer instead to offer my views here or elsewhere. They can get a WHOLE RANGE OF OPINIONS regarding their magnificent "creations" right here on cc.com; more opinions than just mine. I've been through this whole crap before with MattP. You guys can despise my approach all you like; you can do it differently if you want.

Have you ever convinced one of those route setters to not put up a route?

Since I don't deal with "route-setters", I'd have to say no, although I can confidently say that a number of folks have told me that they have been convinced not to engage in such behavior.

Why don't you go out climbing? Maybe Index... where I might be soloing City Park RIGHT NOW! Hurry up or you'll miss that exciting top-steppin' #3 stopper placement!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started out by pointing out a situation.

No names were involved.

I am mostly interested in critiquing behaviors, not particular individuals.

You along with two of your fellow "moderators" made it personal.

Thanks for reminding me, and likely others, once again, that communicating with "Alpine K" is an UTTER WASTE OF TIME!

Have a nice life!

P.S. cry.gif Dwayner sucks!.....Everybody hates Dwayner!...Dwayner can't climb..... cry.gif

Feel better now? I bet you do!

I think it all comes out in the wash.

I personally think bolting and chipping are ok UNDER THE PROPER DEMOGRAPHIC SETTINGS. But I am not going to bag on someone whos views differ from me simply because I realize we all love climbing ( under our individual preferences) and we all climb because...to paraphrase Morpheus; "we're all here because were inherent disobedients".

Climbing is climbing, its ALL fun. PERIOD.

As long as you dont hurt me or I dont hurt you it really dosent matter. Respect the wilderness "laws" and dont be a "guberif" and well get along fine.

Jesus H Schist, some of you really have a sharp stick up yer a$$'$. Just climb and have fun.

PS; regarding the "natural" experience. A line of draws or bolts is perfectly harmless. What I dont appreciate are those F16's or what ever the hell they are that jack my eardrums whilst I am taking in the "Natural"...and while I am going there...people on harleys suck donkey foetus. hellno3d.gif

That's crap and I believe you know it, Merv. In starting your thread as you did, you KNEW what kind of reaction you were going to get because this would be the 159th time you have set out to make the same point in the same snide tone and gotten the same response. And then, at every turn of the "discussion," you did pretty much all you could to invite more invective.

Yes, the overall tenor of the thread has been obnoxious, but you set out to stir the shit and now you're crying "poor me" because it stinks.

That's crap and I believe you know it, Merv. In starting your thread as you did, you KNEW what kind of reaction you were going to get because this would be the 159th time you have set out to make the same point in the same snide tone and gotten the same response.

You have a long history of believing you have swami-like powers to read minds and intentions (at least in my case). You're wasting your time and you're not very good at it. You also seem to be a card-carrying member of The Tone-Police.

I was pointing out a specific example of what I consider to be highly unexceptable behavior. You and two of your fellow "moderators" decided to make it personal. I don't necessarily anticipate the reactions that follow my posts although the one I would hope for is that someone will reclaim their abandoned junk and perhaps reconsider what they're doing, and others will think about the issue.

As I noted to your moderating colleague, "Alpine-K", I'm not particularly interested in critiquing individuals, I am addressing behaviors. Attacking me personally is irrelevant and obscures the topic. Apart from displacements of the subject toward me, I think some very interesting perspectives are being brought out in this topic. If you care about access, you better be concerned.

If it turns out that things involving a real issue get stirred up....you got a problem with that? I see some awareness being spread.

And then, at every turn of the "discussion," you did pretty much all you could to invite more invective. yes, the overall tenor of the thread has been obnoxious, but you set out to stir the shit and now you're crying "poor me" because it stinks.

I set out to point out a situation that I find obnoxious; people leaving their junk in the mountains. To me it is doubly disgusting because it's somebody's little "sporto-project" edged into the mountains, and as you know, I strongly question the legitimacy of sport-climbing. I'm entitled to express my outrage whether you like my tone or not.

I'm not crying "poor me". I'm not looking for your worthless pity. I just find it pathetic that rather than addressing the situation I brought up, the issue turns back to me personally...my tone is inappropriate...I don't climb so much anymore...I'm a big jerk....etc. Look at your own damn tone.

By the way, this is probably the first time I've brought up the topic of leaving a line of quick-draws in the mountains. The last time I saw this was as some sort of "legitimate" practice was in the Smith Rocks long before cc.com came along and was surprised to see this sort of thing taking place where it is now. Do you really think it is the same point for the "159th time" other than once again, the abuse of bolting (in my opinion) is once again a major contributing factor?

Have a nice day.

I think it all comes out in the wash.

I personally think bolting and chipping are ok UNDER THE PROPER DEMOGRAPHIC SETTINGS. Climbing is climbing, its ALL fun. PERIOD.

Not every fun activity is an appropriate activity. Riding your motorcycle through the meadows of Mt. Rainier might be fun, a gondola ride up the Chieftan might be fun, and throwing beer bottles at pedestrians might be fun.....these activities might be all fun, but are they "all good", as sport-climbers like to say?

For years you have either explicitly or implicitly stated on cc that sport climbing and sport climbers are gay. Let me edjucate you a little.

Funny you should keep bringing up the accusation that Merv has called sport climbers gay on this board. I've invited you to find one such example and you never have. You, on the other hand, are quite fond of dropping the G-bomb with regularity. I've found a few AlpineK quotes to remind you:

Paddling is gay. Why else would kayakers wear spray skirts

Most ironworkers are gay...not that there's anything wrong with that.

You're gay

They talk about John Wayne in Repo Man. He is so gay....

Utilikilts are gay.

This afternoon, I jammed and crimped some fine granite with good company in 11worth, and truly enjoyed myself. This evening I took a look at cc.com and was reminded why I quit climbing for a while.

Don, Eric, I am saddened by your attempts to kill the joy found in climbing with all this petty bickering and backstabbing. Thank God you are in the minority.

This afternoon, I jammed and crimped some fine granite with good company in 11worth, and truly enjoyed myself. This evening I take a look at cc.com and was reminded why I quit climbing for a while.

Don, Eric, I am saddened by your attempts to kill the joy found in climbing with all this petty bickering and backstabbing. Thank God you are in the minority.

Hey wienerhead, I'm just sticking up for my buddy. He makes a valid point and then some of the classy elements on this board launch a personal attack against him. From what I've read, he's doing an adequate job making his critics and detractors look silly.

Glad you made it to Leavenworth today, but I'm especially glad I had a chance to read your contribution to this discussion. Reminds me of how little some of you really have to say.

you are a bonafide idiot and a master of hyperbole...

again, go fuck off...

How old are you?

Would you like to contribute something other than your foul mouth to the subject?

I'm 12...how old are you? my guess...93

sorry that's the best i could do...couldn't find any lame pics to post

No, caveman, that isn't exactly true...

I asked 2 serious questions first, which were ignored, then was referred to as a spoiled selfcentered child in my response to ashw and had stupid ass photos to refer to...From this point on, i reasoned that there was no discussion available, and my retort was then "fuck off"...

As Paul put it, no one really disagrees w/ Merv's point about tat and qd's hanging all over the cliff being an eyesore...