Are these people for real ?

tele_nut

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Once thing I will say is that what's so wrong with offering easy ascents of local peaks? The majoirty of clients don't really know their arse from their elbow and likely wouldn't be climbing anything too hard anyway. A quick jaunt up The Tooth and a polaroid picture is probably enough for most of them. Just my 2 cents. wave.gif

Once thing I will say is that what's so wrong with offering easy ascents of local peaks? The majoirty of clients don't really know their arse from their elbow and likely wouldn't be climbing anything too hard anyway. A quick jaunt up The Tooth and a polaroid picture is probably enough for most of them. Just my 2 cents. wave.gif

Don't let Volken hear you saying that. You'd steal his thunder.

I saw a guide taking some beginners climbing at Mount Eerie on Saturday. He pissed me off initially because he expressed a slight proprietary attitude and he had his stuff spread out all over the place. He quickly got a clue and consolidated his stuff and, after he saw that I wasn't going to kill my seven-year-old nephew he relaxed and let us climb. The proprietary attitude comes in part from being responsible for other people, I guess. Anyway, I ultimately enjoyed sharing the crag with his group, and not only did he seem to know what he was doing but he seemed to do a fairly good job of encouraging his "clients" to enjoy themselves. I think he worked for Cascade Guides.

He was a marked contrast to the loudmouthed jerk I recently saw teaching some kids to climb at Marymoor. Unprofessional, unsafe, and unencouraging.

Guides and clubs, even Scott's guides and clubs, can be OK by me.

I'm with you there. The idea of guiding can be appealing but the reality is that it is generally low paying and seasonal work, and it tends to get one used to feeling and acting like a babysitter whenever they go climbing. I suppose people could make similar generalizations about lots of other professions, though.