wanted: graphing calculator

ChrisT

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ChrisT, you'll probably be better off dropping some coin on it now, brand new. Craig has had his for 5 years now and it's still going strong, it's even keeping up with I.B. classes.

Paul - that's not what I wanted to hear madgo_ron.gif. I like to think there's some cc.com benefactor or Daddy Warbucks willing to help out a promising young student. Allow me my fantasy a bit longer k?

the ti-85 was great because you could program it to do exam questions for you. unfortunately the knowledge involved with programming it was more intensive than the exam questions you were trying to solve.

He he, mine got me hooked on programming - learn a new calculus function, code it during class, plug in variables to complete assignment.

Geek_em8.gif

My TI-81 is still rockin' since '91, and I use it weekly at work. Should be able to pick one of those up extra cheap on ebay.

If it's for a speciffic class, do they recomend a certain model? If its used in class it'd be tough if everyone had something different.

Not sure what model they recommend but the T1-85 is sounding pretty popular with all the engineers around here. Any engineering school drop-outs out there?

hah, similar story. I didn't use it much to do calculus but would use it to double check values after making equations. some MEGAgeek wrote up a version of tetris for it too. the 85 had a cloning cable so I was set for passing the time in boring classes. thanks dude wherever you are! He's probably in jail.

hah, similar story. I didn't use it much to do calculus but would use it to double check values after making equations. some MEGAgeek wrote up a version of tetris for it too. the 85 had a cloning cable so I was set for passing the time in boring classes. thanks dude wherever you are! He's probably in jail.

i bet it's pretty hard to play Tetris on a slide rule alright cantfocus.gifGeek_em8.gif

the ti-85 was great because you could program it to do exam questions for you. unfortunately the knowledge involved with programming it was more intensive than the exam questions you were trying to solve.

Yes, so I considered it ethically okay to code up the calculator to take the test for me, but unethical for me to distribute the code to others.

I remember one test in particular where we had a dozen equations for conic sections and for each one we had to say the type, the focus, the directrix, the center... in a specified order matching a pretest. I think that test took me five minutes to take.

btw - Iain - I was one of those geeks who coded up Tetris on my TI. (as well as fractal generators and other silly stuff)