Bibler i-tent alternatives?

fleblebleb

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

just spent a few weeks at 17,500' in a mountain hardware EV2, a 2 man single wall tent weighing in around 4# or so (we were testing prototype poles so i'm not sure of the final weight). the inside isn't fuzzy like a bibler, so if it was warm(er) out you have to wipe away the condensation or it rains on you. sets up easy (2 pole) and stood up through a wind beating without really being guyed out. have also used the integral designs tents and would buy them over the biblers simply for thhe better pole attachment system. all three tents work well and are pretty bomber, i would buy whichever has the lowest price. my $0.02

I don't think the EPIC tent would make a great PNW option. I looked into it earlier this year and read the review as well. if you are using it where any precip is in the form of something frozen then it may be ok. If you want to wait out a day in the rain I think you would be hating it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Epic seems to be designed to do the job and just get you through most of your day w/o getting drenched, but is not as good as GoreTex (for shells) or other forms of heavier nylon used in tents. It seems like a real specialty tent that you would have for just when the conditions are right.

Fine, screw the other thread grin.gif

It seems the epic tent would make a lighter, less bulky alternative to two bivi bags. That is cool. Who wants to wait out a rainy day in bivi bag wink.gif

But, from what I've seen of silnylon (I have a silponcho) it would be very important to seam-seal carefully. I don't know if the Firstlight is factory seam-sealed.

I have always been leery of factory seam sealed tents. The tent fabric, adhesive, and tape all expand/contract at slightly different rates across the temperature spectrum, which may lead to eventual deterioration of the seal. Case in point: I spent three days in a TNF single wall tent waiting out a storm in the Tetons and one of the floor-wall seams leaked continuously. This is not the first time I have had factory sealed seams leak on me, but all other times it was in TNF tents, too. Stebbi, no matter what SW tent you buy, a mandatory accessory is a piece of Packtowl or a sponge or some other type of water absorber with which you can mop the floor of your tent. Works great for spilled tea and soup, too.

Fine, screw the other thread grin.gif

It seems the epic tent would make a lighter, less bulky alternative to two bivi bags. That is cool. Who wants to wait out a rainy day in bivi bag wink.gif

But, from what I've seen of silnylon (I have a silponcho) it would be very important to seam-seal carefully. I don't know if the Firstlight is factory seam-sealed.

Hi Stebbi,

The BD Firstlight is not factory seam-sealed (at least, it wasn't when I bought mine last spring). You are right, it is important to thoroughly seam-seal it.

Cheers,

Steve