Ramen Review

Jonathan

Ramen: Food of the Gods, Manna from Heaven

Ramen belongs on every trip, wherever your travels in our sweet Cascade home may take you. Along with Landjaeger and Kendal Mint Cakes, it constitutes the foundation of any alpinist’s diet. It's made me the man I am today, so you'll probably want to steer well clear of the stuff.

Water boiled on 1965 Optimus 96 kerosene burning stove. Ramen block was placed into bowl, boiling water poured on top. Waited 3 minutes. Tucked in.

Rated in terms of what tasted best or what brand names struck my fancy. Entirely arbitrary and capricious rating system.

Stores visited: The Ballard Market, Larry’s, Uwajimaya and Viet Wah, the latter being my personal favorite. Oddly, there was no intersection of ramen brands at these stores.

Nissin Top Ramen Brand Ramen

USA

Oriental, chicken, chicken vegetable, beef, shrimp, teriyaki chicken, Cajon chicken, chicken sesame

Many ramen brands feature the mysterious oriental flavor. No corresponding occidental flavor I’m aware of. Is that an example of Occidentalism? Better call Edward Said.

1pkg. = 380 kcal, 120 from fat, 1660 mg sodium, typical of the ramens sampled, just what you need at the end of a long day.

10/1$ at many local stores

Wine: Rancho Zabaco Zin, ca. $10 at many local markets. Great wine at a great price.

Nissin Brand Ramen

Japan

Shoyu flavor. Hope those little shoyus aren't endangered. Couldn’t we eat those useless marmots instead? I really detest the little chicken fuckers.

.39/pkg at Uwajimaya

Maybe a little warm saki.

Lucky Me! Brand Ramen

Philippines

Hot Chili flavor

Included soy sauce and package of yellowish, viscous fat

.39/pkg at VietWah

Foil spice package strongly resembles a condom package, hence the brand name?

Whatever Gourmet magazine or Cook’s Illustrated is recommending these days as complementary to yellowish, viscous fat.

Sapporo Ichiban Brand Ramen

Japan

Original flavor. Whatever that may be.

Included bit o’ seaweed, a nice touch

.39/pkg at Uwajimaya

One or two of those cute little cans of Saporro beer

WaiWai Brand Ramen

Thailand

TomYum. Isn’t he related to Tommy Hilfiger?

.49/pkg at VietWah

Intelligent eyed, comely woman on package sports short-sassy do, yet she’s still urbanely coiffed. She’s giving a both thumbs up sign, while proclaiming “Softer noodles, quicker to be served.” Ohmygod, she’s even wearing one of those scrunchies in her hair that turns my knees into mush.

I get no kick from champagne/Mere alcohol doesn’t thrill me at all . . . the ramen goddess intoxicates me, I am in love, she is the dream of my sleepless nights

Ve Wong Kung Fu Brand

Taiwan

Beef, Chicken, Onion, Shrimp

.35/pkg at Uwajimaya

Kinda nondescript, actually, a little boring, despite its initially enticing pugilist appellation.

Probably Canadian Tylenol, liquid version

Yummy Brand

Thailand

Duck, Chicken, Tommy, Beef

.39/pkg at Vietnam

Duck flavor was this brand’s best and unique among the fine ramens I sampled.

Whatever you’re having, thanks!

Marching Brand Ramen

USA

Oriental, beef, shrimp, beef mushroom.

The ramen that conquered the Ptarmigan!

1pkg. = 380 kcal, 140 from fat, 1800 mg sodium

Enjoyed in executive session with my good friend, Mr. J. Daniels, and some nice web pages offering appealing visual imagery.

Mum's Brand Ramen

Korea

Oriental

.39/pkg at Uwajimaya

Suggested wine: Box o' rice wine at Uwajimaya, 5.39/.5 later

Vivo Brand

Vietnam

Shrimp, Beef

Included little package of spicy flavored oil

Strangely, the package was largely in Polish

Polish cooking instructions

1. Makaron pokruszyć i wrzucić do glębokiej miski. Przyprawy z torebek dodać do smaku. Zalać 0,4 l wrzątku.

2. Przykryć na 3 minuty.

3. Po wymieszaniu zupa jest gotowa do spożycia. SMACZNEGO!

I don’t know how to pronounce SMACZNEGO!, but I’m certain it’s a lot of fun to say.

.39/pkg at VietWah

Polish vodka, of course

IndioMie Brand Ramen

Indonesia. Just doing my part to support the repressive regimes who are our allies in the war on terror.

Includes a package of bumbu sauce, chili powder, oil o’ mystery, soy sauce and fried onions. 5 packages. Wow.

Couldn't tell a shoyu from a bumbu, but it's fun to say bumbu sauce, isn't it? Easier to say than SMACZNEGO! Of course, unless bumbu means sauce in which case I've just said something as silly as chai tea.

.49/pkg at Uwajimaya

Well, one more round.

Westbrae Brand Miso Ramen Japan

Has the distinction of being steamed, not fried, so 80% less fat. Also boasts less sodium. What's the point of eating fat-free, reduced salt ramen? That's like drinking a no fat, sugar substitute, decaf latte!

1.50/pkg. at Larry's. Larry’s, harrumph. Figures.

Wine: Something white and Californian and out of a box, that's for sure

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Westbrae Brand Miso Ramen Japan

Has the distinction of being steamed, not fried, so 80% less fat. Also boasts less sodium. What's the point of eating fat-free, reduced salt ramen? That's like drinking a no fat, sugar substitute, decaf latte!

1.50/pkg. at Larry's. Larry’s, harrumph. Figures.

Wine: Something white and Californian and out of a box, that's for sure"

Perhaps pricy, but it does have the distinction of being the only organic product reviewed, no? So perhaps a nice bottle of Cote du Rhone would complement it nicely; one of the few unintentionally organic products left on our planet!

Ramen, Ramen, Ramen. OK so it sustains life. OK so I have practically lived off the stuff at various times in my life. But you guys have to give it up for the venerable Mac and cheese with a little fresh caught tuna thrown in. All you need is water and a can opener and WALLAH!!! A veritable cornicopia of gustatory delight.

Be aware, it may not be legal in some states.

Having survived on ramen quite a bit at diffrent time in life, I find that I don't like it as a soup. I skip the packet all together and sprinkle with parmisean cheese, or just sprinkle some of the spice packet over the well draind noodles.

romen is food [Wink]

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody mentioned tear-open cans of tuna...just be careful of tear-open cans coming from parts of the world where canning operations are scary (the list would start with Indonesia...) There is a real risk of "leaker" cans, which present a potential botulism risk. No kiddin.

Ramen Addenda and erratum.

Erratum:

Marching brand ramen should be Manchuran brand ramen. My sincere apologies.

Addenda:

Selected ramen websites:

www.nissinfoods.com/

Nissin commercial website

www.konzak.com/ramen/

A plug for Bainbridge Island resident Ron Konzak's compact tome "The Book of Ramen."

www.mattfischer.com/ramen/

The "official" ramen web page, according to the site's owner, Matt Fischer. One American's tribute to our favorite food. Many clever recipies. Check out Fischer's link to a NPR (National Puppet Radio) report on the Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum. Worth a listen.

www.bento.com/phgal3.html

The Tokyo Food Page's blurb on the Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum, mecca in my eyes. Someday . . .

www.worldramen.net/

A Japanese ramen enthusiast's tribute to his nation's gift to world cuisine. The site, with the exception of the last item in this list, is my personal favorite.

www.waiwai.th.com/

Finally, the worthy manufacturer of WaiWai ramen, the Thai Preserved Food Factory Co., Ltd., offers a website where you can view the beautiful ramen girl. Look no further than www.waiwai.th.com/exproductmain3.htm Not one, not two, but three, yes three, images of this bonnie lass. Oh my. And, yes, she's sporting that scrunchie in one of them. Apparently, Tom Klong flavor constitutes an especially exciting taste treat. I had no idea. And what an intriguing bandana she's wearing! Sadly, dare I say tragically, the celebrated "thumbs up" graphic, on the reverse side of the package, is not reproduced on the website.

Sigh. Quoth the bard, "Some Cupid kills with arrows, some with traps, others with ramen."

Outstanding thread.

Jonathan -- how much does hard alcohol figure into your enjoyment of ramen? There must be a sympathetic relationship there. That is, if you have sufficient Wild Turkey, you might consume an entire $1 worth of ramen (perhaps ten noodle bundles and flavor packets, if you shop where the LG shops).

Just a thought. I've noticed this sort of calculus at work in my own forays into ramen cuisine.

• 7 months later...

I really dig "Mamy" brand Pho noodles, especially when enhanced with a bit of miso and some veggies and meat! grin.gif

Pho noodles have the benefit/detriment of not being fried so they are lower in fat.

I like cup of noodles better than straight ramen, especially for BC breakfast. Pure power food!