Boston Globe - Bush went AWOL

Jim

Well, we have a 20 year career as a bench-rider in Congress with which to judge Kerry.

Couple of things Greg. First is that I don't know of any criminal charge against Kerry. Second is that on the whole, Kerry seems like a far more interesting character than Bush. He played guitar, released an album with his buddies, went to war, does kite-boarding, snow boarding, cycling etc.

My last point has bugger all to do with the election but whatever.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerry seems like a far more interesting character than Bush. He played guitar, released an album with his buddies, went to war, does kite-boarding, snow boarding, cycling etc.

personally i would rather party with someone snooting the bolivian marching powder than someone inhaling the chronic.

Repeatedly copying something on a copier wouldn't produce the distortion they refer. Copiers work linerally - both scan and print portions, so the distortion should be regular along some axis (i.e x, y or some combo)

Distortion of random portions of the document would more likely be from an imaging system like microfiche.

Well, I don't know how much Kerry will be screwed, do you think it would be anymore than Bush was screwed by the Swift Boat Veterans apparent lies and fabrications? After all, it doesn't appear to be a Kerry campaign plot.

It is however a very interesting thing to watch, and an interesting mark of just how much the internet changes the game, this sort of response would be much slower to build without that kind of peer to peer communication on this kind of scale.

It is a totally goofy story either way. No matter how you look at it, there seems to be no question that GW DID NOT complete his obligations to his country -- and he's lied about it.

We'll all debate whether this shows there is some kind of media bias, or whether CBS is sloppy or whatever, and in the end we'll all forget that in this campaign Kerry did not make a bunch of noise over Bush's failure to serve - he only sought to capitalize off of his own record just as candidates have always done when they had some military medals to show off -- until the Bush camp started flinging the mud.

Matt, if this were the case, he would not have received the Honorable Discharge that he did. Now, I know, some will call "Daddy Privilege" here but, I don't think that GHWB was in such a powerful position, in a broad-based way, as to influence National Guard Colonels (I think he was DCI at the time). From the reports I've heard of the state of the National Guard at the time, things were pretty lax. Not making excuses, mind you, just adding some perspective.

I heard some interesting background on moveon.org last night. They, more than the Swifties, have direct ties to their national party, the DNC. George Soros is a huge contributor to both moveon.org AND the DNC, special counsel to the DNC is also that of moveon.org, major players at moveon.org are MAJOR (read: >$100,000) contributors to the DNC, etc, etc. The head of the Swifties merely gave his $2,000 to the RNC and went home. So, again, I wonder how Campaign Finance Reform has worked if all the major players are getting around the law by creating 527s and actually skirting ANY limits imposed by the FEC and CFR.

Matt, if this were the case, he would not have received the Honorable Discharge that he did. Now, I know, some will call "Daddy Privilege" here but, I don't think that GHWB was in such a powerful position, in a broad-based way, as to influence National Guard Colonels (I think he was DCI at the time).

Gimme a break! This is rich! GW played on his family's name to get into Yale and Harvard, and to get in and out of the guard safely. Of course he got an honorable discharge as a free lunch pass. It's very simple, he signed saying he would fullfill his obligations, the paper trail obviously shows he did not. And he lied about it.

To think that his powerful family ties played no role is naive at best.