Jobs for climbers?

layton

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

quote:

Originally posted by sexual chocolate:

[QBWhat is "fairly well", as far as pay goes? I'm just curious....I've had thoughts of teaching....

$40/day here in The Prophet's country. Starting salary for a certified teacher is about $16,000/year.

Now West Coast . . . A single day's pay in L.A. for a subsitute teacher can go as high as $250. My Uncle subs in the San Luis Obispo area for $100/day.

What it be in Oregon and Washington?[/QB]

115-130 a day and most offer bonus for number of days worked.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imho, you should only teach if you have the ability to teach. There are some people who have a natral ability, and I am not sure that can be tought in any class. Children are precious, and teaching a dificult and rarely rewarding profession. I don't think it is something that you should do simply because you like the hours, but you should teach if you want to help mold a generation or three of amzing minds that will look to you for knowledge and wisdom.

quote:

Originally posted by sk:

imho, you should only teach if you have the ability to teach. There are some people who have a natral ability, and I am not sure that can be tought in any class. Children are precious, and teaching a dificult and rarely rewarding profession. I don't think it is something that you should do simply because you like the hours, but you should teach if you want to help mold a generation or three of amzing minds that will look to you for knowledge and wisdom.

I work with children nearly every day. I absolutely LOVE them. I agree that some people CAN teach and some people have a harder time reaching the majority. I have two views on substitute teaching...

1)its a good break for the students from their teacher. So much is slammed down their throats..often by teachers who DONT reach them. Really, think back to when you were in school...what a relief it was to have that one day every month or so where you could just relax because you had a sub.

2) Some substitute teachers (I have a lot of friends who do this) bring experiential learning into the classroom and make that day off from the regular teacher FUN, yet still learn from it. (this is not a general diss on regular teachers...I know a lot of teachers who care and do a wonderful job!)

Remember, I prefaced the post with, "if you can tolerate children". If you dont like children or have no desire to be around them, then it would be the last thing I would reccomend job-wise. If you want to be a full time teacher...then I would reccomend more than being able to "tolerate" children. It needs to be a true desire to help kids reach their full potential in many aspects of life.

Around here, I THINK top pay is 200 bucks a day. Often they require a degree in addition to make you take some "tests". Reasonable enough, I suppose.

You cannot teach in Washington w/o a teaching certificate. I would already be in school by the time I got my cert, but good info for others. Lots more jobs for medical assistants too.

quote:

Yo: hack.

You're your own boss, and the pay is good. You come and go as you please. Don't wanna work tomorrow? Hah! Screw 'em. Go climbing instead.

Don't know what it's like in B'ham, but in Seattle it was good. Coupla bills a day, albeit long days, and you meet interesting people.

Just watch out for road-rage. And armed crack-heads!

What job are you talking about, or are you calling me a hack and I should be my own boss at anything? Couldn't decipher this one. Some good ideas for climbers here if they have a time to invest. I do not, so unless I get the "miracle" connection/offer, It looks like temp jobs, or getting hired for a chain, and quitting when I want time off. Once again, it is very hard to get a job w/a gear store in B'ham. X-mass time is another story, however. But guess what's fun to do in the mountains around x-mass time that occurs in places w/ no jobs ever? Yup, ice-climbing.

Ski area jobs seem pretty good. It's too late for Antartica jobs, but those are good ones too.

I'm going back to school to get my teaching cert. The possibilities for teachers are endless. If you're patient, you can live in any town in the world, have lots of time off and even bring in enough $ to move out of the back of your car. Once you get certified there are numerous opportunities to teach and live in places like New Zealand, Chile, etc. If you want to try teaching before going to school go to California and sub. All they require is someone who can fog a mirror. Good luck. -Dave

quote:

Originally posted by michael_layton:

You cannot teach in Washington w/o a teaching certificate. I would already be in school by the time I got my cert, but good info for others. Lots more jobs for medical assistants too.

quote:

Yo: hack.

You're your own boss, and the pay is good. You come and go as you please. Don't wanna work tomorrow? Hah! Screw 'em. Go climbing instead.

Don't know what it's like in B'ham, but in Seattle it was good. Coupla bills a day, albeit long days, and you meet interesting people.

Just watch out for road-rage. And armed crack-heads!

What job are you talking about, or are you calling me a hack and I should be my own boss at anything? Couldn't decipher this one. Some good ideas for climbers here if they have a time to invest. I do not, so unless I get the "miracle" connection/offer, It looks like temp jobs, or getting hired for a chain, and quitting when I want time off. Once again, it is very hard to get a job w/a gear store in B'ham. X-mass time is another story, however. But guess what's fun to do in the mountains around x-mass time that occurs in places w/ no jobs ever? Yup, ice-climbing.

Ski area jobs seem pretty good. It's too late for Antartica jobs, but those are good ones too.

Ahhh! Hack: Taxi-driving!

quote:

Originally posted by svilar:

I'm going back to school to get my teaching cert. The possibilities for teachers are endless. If you're patient, you can live in any town in the world, have lots of time off and even bring in enough $ to move out of the back of your car. Once you get certified there are numerous opportunities to teach and live in places like New Zealand, Chile, etc. If you want to try teaching before going to school go to California and sub. All they require is someone who can fog a mirror. Good luck. -Dave

Really? Are there any requirements? Not even an undergrad?

Does someone without certs make decent money in cali (how much)? Thanks

Ya, Brother Dru....like we really need another climbing guide book! [Roll Eyes] .

(And you can bet the advance on any climbing guide book would suck large...that is, if you get an advance.)

- Dwayner, who writes books and knows something about "the money" they pay.

There are men in Guam whose full time job is to travel the countryside and deflower young virgins, who pay them for the privilege of having sex for the first time...Reason: under Guam law, it is expressly forbidden for virgins to marry. Food for thought for all you single, off-season climbers.

-

"How about a lovely guide to pastry shops, cheese emporiums, latté stands, etc. near climbing areas? I would, for example, like to know where I can find a tantalizing, sport-empowering salad bar near Exit 38! Surely there is a market (no pun intended) for such a delectable volume!"

The best place to get a job in Bellingham is anywhere outside of Bellingham. There you need a Master's degree to schlep cream cheese on a bagel at the Bagelry. You really have to create a niche for yourself in that town. Don't get me wrong, I really love it there. The best job to have as a climber up there would be selling marijuana. That's all anyone up there does anyway. You could get paid to hike across the border in N. Cascades, hit the Picketts, and then pop out at Mt Baker cuz the Border Patrol is always looking for people with big packs up at Ross Lake. [rockband]

being in the 'ham for the last 5 years, my experience with work is that you have to suck it up and deal with shit jobs here sometimes- b/c that's all there is! but from what you've said you already know that. the 'job board' at WWU (on website too) was helpful for awhile with odd jobs like yard work and stuff, they pay b/n $8-$10, even though summer is coming to an end, you might be able to find this kind of work into the fall (i have- through December!) and most people i worked for let me do it on my own schedule- weekends off! [smile] hope this helps, probably something you already know... good luck! [big Drink][sNAFFLEHOUND]

I once took two full time shit jobs. I worked a day shift and a night shift for about 4 months. You will have no time or energy to spend any money so it is a good savings plan. It is good training (no sleep and lots of suffering). I still had most weekends off. and the best part was after four months I could tell both my bosses where to stick it and go climb for 6 months and still have a little money left over to go back to school.

You can get certified in a year to become teacher if you already have a BA. Teachers work hard, my wife went from a geologist to teaching middle school. Little time during the school year with a couple of months off in summer.

I'm an ecologist and I like it. I travel around in the northwest and get to work in climbing and ski trips around field work. There's lots of fieldwork and you can stay in decent shape just crusing up and down ridges for some projects. The summer can be busy with field work though and conflict with the climbing season. Pay's decent.

Mike,

If you are going to go to school to become a chiropractor, you ought to approach some of the doc's in your area about an assistant position(or maybe look into physical therapy aiding)The pay is only mediocre at best, but it's a great job, and you will learn alot about working in health care. Besides if you want to get in the biz, your going to have to network, and you might as well start now!!

Good luck.

Don't get a job Mike,

If you only have a year off take the plunge and just climb and bum.

If you get a lame job you will find yourself like me:

-posting on this site at odd work hours,

-drinking cups from the water cooler like mad to make up for the long dehydrated climbs you remember so often,

-searching for handjams, fingercracks and mono-pockets in the interior of your workplace (and looking embarassed when your co-workers catch you testing a bomber jam in the elevator alone),

-taking the stairs because you want to get in shape (and avoid more embarassing handjam situations in the elevator), then getting back on the elevator halfway because the stairs remind you of approaches,

-shopping online for gear you don't need and can't afford and comparing every minute detail, just for fun,

-eating a York Peppermint Pattie and staring at Cpt. Caveman's Canada pictures on the computer screen until you can see each and every pixel,

-doing absolutely no work but still collecting a check.

These are the 7 ineffective work habits of climbers who would rather not be employed. Don't become a statistic [hell no]

quote:

Originally posted by payaso:

The best place to get a job in Bellingham is anywhere outside of Bellingham. There you need a Master's degree to schlep cream cheese on a bagel at the Bagelry. You really have to create a niche for yourself in that town. Don't get me wrong, I really love it there. The best job to have as a climber up there would be selling marijuana. That's all anyone up there does anyway. You could get paid to hike across the border in N. Cascades, hit the Picketts, and then pop out at Mt Baker cuz the Border Patrol is always looking for people with big packs up at Ross Lake.
[rockband]

-