Belaying second on multipitch sport

dtw

if I remember the bolts on the top of spiderman at smith are kindof like what he's talking about. too close to the edge to sit comfortably with feet over the edge

I was thinking about Spiderman as well. I have found a small horizontal crack about 5 feet back of the anchors and to the left (facing the route) that I can fit a couple of pieces in and then tie off to my the back of my harness, this allows me to sit down and belay my second without worries of being pulled off the top.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First pitch of Midway at Castle Rock.

I do recall sitting right next to the anchor for this climb...which is also the anchor for sface, mf and nose...

all on jello tower...not below feet...

and as dru says if the climb is multipitch and the anchor is below a ledge between pitches then the sportmonkey who drilled the bolts is an idiot...

however, if the bolts are below a ledge and you want to belay on the nice comfy ledge, do as mattp suggests and brace your feet. likewise, keep the belay nice and snug for the second. this should virtually eliminate any chance from being "yanked off" (if the second falls).

when in doubt back it up with pro.