[TR] The Tooth - Someone cut a rap anchor!!!!!!!!!!!!- Easy Route 9/6/2004

mr.radon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They cost $15.00 or so, but when I've set out to establish a rap station on a popular climb that I wanted to be extra strong, I've used large stainless steel rings that are sold in yachting stores, about 2x or 3x the diameter of a rap ring, with a breaking strength of something like 18,000 pounds. This way there is still room for the rope when people stuff 25 slings through them.

It always amazes me to see where someone then added a slightly longer runner and a standard sized rap ring carefully being sure it would equalize the big one.

They cost $15.00 or so, but when I've set out to establish a rap station on a popular climb that I wanted to be extra strong, I've used large stainless steel rings that are sold in yachting stores, about 2x or 3x the diameter of a rap ring, with a breaking strength of something like 18,000 pounds. This way there is still room for the rope when people stuff 25 slings through them.

It always amazes me to see where someone then added a slightly longer runner and a standard sized rap ring carefully being sure it would equalize the big one.

news for you - it would be cheaper to use chains than the big expensive ring. also that way there would be no webbing for snaffles to chew on. wave.gif

I'd think people leave 2 rings for two reasons:

- Bigger radius for the rope to go through, thus nicer on the rope.

- Some redundancy (though I haven't seen a damaged ring).

Whoever climbs Ingalls Peak's North Peak next, there's a lot of extra rap rings to booty off South Ridge, then; please just don't wear Lycra wink.gif

drC

• 10 years later...
  • 5 months later...