.10A's

sketchfest

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

delirum is my fav smith single pitch route. good rock and cool moves.....

i would say sketch is leave the a,b,c & d out of it and go for .10s in general. the letter value is only a point of micro managing the sport. .10a's at index tend to be more difficult then .10b or .10c.....go figure

have fun man!!!

Angel Crack -Castle Rock

Delerium Tremens - Smith

Meat Grinder - Alphabet Rock, icicle

Exasperator p1 - Squamish base of the Grand

Seasoned in the Sun - ditto

The Zip - Squamish Smoke Bluffs

Gruff in the Smith Gorge is a good one if Cruel Sis is busy. Ditto Wildfire.

Grassy Glades at Skaha.

Nothing at Index cause it always rains there. [Razz]

Erik, I agree about the a,b,c thing, I tend to get more worked up when I think I'm leading something specific rather than just walking up to a line and climbing it because I like the looks of it. Not to mention the inconsistancies(sp) of the ratings.

JK, there's a group of us heading over the weekend after Labor day Sept. 7-8, come on over, would love to hook up with the gang from Eugene, less crowds the weekend after school starts. (generally)

I'm suprised noone has said it yet,

GO DO "BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS"

Solid 10a, perfect hands, cool exposure, pump factor and solid pro the whole way! Great climb!

My favorite way to do it is to make one short pitch from the grounsd to the chains on Rogers Corner, then link the second pitch of Rogers with Breakfast. Clip the slings on the tree and keep going. If you are smart about your pro you can do this with one set of cams. Take up to #3 camolot, maybe 2 #1's and #2's if you like to sew it up. The fall is totaly clean.

Also with two 60m ropes you can do one long spacy rap to the deck, very cool added bonus.

Becarefull, as I have experienced rock fall from the top in that area. Have fun!

Flying Circus is a slick piece of dung. It used to be good 10 yrs ago but took too much beating from endless top ropes.

On the other hand "Neat & Cool" itself is a wicked 10a but maybe not good for breaking into the grade as people seem to take ugly groundfalls on it more than about any other climb at Squamish. I remember when it had 4 fixed pins, over the years they've all come out as people fell on them oops! Now just nuts and cams [big Grin]

And Talking Holds is good... short overhanging perfect hands 10a. Also Jabberwocky, crux is boulder problemy start then 5.9 fingers above.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

rogers corner blows....

do the lizrd route and travers in from the top of the slab....more solid rock, more vaired climbing.

breakfast is good.....

oh come on now, so you have to deal with a couple of moves on choss, but then you stem up that sweet verticle corner with cool jams.

Roger's kicks ass, two thumbs up. Not all the rock at Index has to be perfect, it's even got the ancient rusty 1/4 incher for added ambiance, I allways clip it just for fun! [big Grin]

Still havent done Lizard, but I will havta try that recomended variation.

first three pitches of Davis Holland (i believe the name's Upper Town Wall) at Index: 9, 10a, 10c (this last one somewhat soft relative to most Index ratings).

Or link GM to an upper pitch (10a/b) of Heart of the Country at the Country, Index.

Def. concur w/ the above rec's for Angel, Breakfast, Exasperator. On this last you'll have difficulty not continuing for the sweet 10 second pitch. enjoy [big Drink]

Another good 10a at Smoke Bluffs is Nubile Woman. It is pretty short and was my first 10a lead I believe. Take some RPs for the last few moves, which are (you guessed it) the CRUX!

Also, Fist at Murrin is good , crux is a boulder start again then solid 5.9 which always reminds me a bit of the Outer Space crux (ie you are climbing up a diagonal crack which you have your feet in and you have to switch to hand traversing it as you move right around a little bulgy roof thing)

Actually I did OS so long ago I cant even remember if the crux is really like that or not. [big Grin]

Some other good smith tuft cracks are Pack animal direct 10b, Calamity Jam 10c, Infinity direct 10a and I think one or two more cracks if I remember correctly. Karati crack is just around the corner. They are all right next to each other and didn't get much traffic when I did them. I have not been in that area in a while but I have heard that some one put a bunch of sport routes up between the cracks so you may find the usual smith cluster f* there too.

quote:

Originally posted by Thinker:

I know JK asked about
TRAD
leads, so this is technically thread drift, but I like Screaming Yellow Zonkers at Smith. Bolted. 10b, I think.......

Who in their right mind (besides DFA, of course) would go to Smith to sport climb? [laf]

OK, I admit that I am working on a ticklist of 5.10 sport routes to do at Smith as well:

Screaming Yellow Zonkers

BBQ the Pope

Wedding Day

Bring on the thread creep! [big Grin]

Both routes on Phoenix are fun. Nice little crux on Phoenix and the run out on the one to the right is in a nice position when you look back at the river. As long as we are creeping to bolts, there's an .11-something on Phoenix, I can't remeber the name, but it;s the last climb on the climbers left. Nearly the whole climb is shallow two finger pockets and of course one of my all time favorites "Ring of Fire" .11D

No, further to the left, it's the last climb on the wall, I think it's in the supplement, it's just to the left of "hissing lamas" 5.8 - at least I think that the climb it's next to. Anyway, the climb is a steep face climb with all these shallow one and two finger pockets that finally round out, right, onto a short arete, then back left more thin fingers up to the chains. It's not that long but it's burly fingers and delicate feet. A good tester.