7 Day stay in Camp 4 now enforced with computer

Dru

News from Supertopo.com is that "in order to enforce the Camp 4 time limit more effectively (and thereby enable more people to experience Yosemite), the campground office is tracking visitation in Camp 4 with a computer system. As of..well, now, in order to stay in Camp 4 each camper must provide a valid photo ID (Driver’s license, passport, etc.), phone number, and address. Once you have stayed in the Campground seven nights (any seven nights over the course of the summer), that’s it, no more. Sorry, time for someone else to enjoy the Valley." Previously, it was common behaviour to sign in under different names to get around the 7-day limit.

thumbs_down.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camp 4 used to be a real special place for me...I felt at home talking with any stranger around there....I could sorta relate it to being at a Phish show. People all there for the same reason, with lots of acceptance and kindness.

But lately, for like the last 5 or 6 years...going there is like going to a climbing gym where everyone is so jaked up on ego pills. It's like ya gota know who's who and who's doing what and be climbing this or that to sit at this fire and if youre slow then go away...

whatever. I never stay there...well actualy I did 2 years ago in mArch, but there was 6 inches of snow on the ground and we were the only ones. That was kinda cool.

wave.gifKind of reminds me the way I feel about Rainier. And it seems like I am the only one bothered by permits.I once had a climbing ranger chase me over 3000ft,down Mt St Helens cause I had no permit. I beat him to the 4800ft sign,that said permits required above here. I was on the other side. We had a good laugh after I refused to take him seriously.He let me go,and ask me were I learded to move so fast. I said in Alaska where the state bird will suck all your blood if your not fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the rangers were worse this year. I had a friend rousted from sleeping in Camp 4 just after the labor day weekend. He said there were 4-5 rangers going around camp busting people.

The sucky thing is that we let the park service set up these rules without too much of a ruckus. I think since people could cheat the rules in the past they didn't object much but now they can say that these rules have been in effect for years.

Even my sporto, citygirl girlfriend was cursing the rangers by the end of her first trip to the valley.