Oregon Climatologists Forecast Wet/Cold Winter

Gaper_Jeffy

Three Climatologists associated with Oregon Climate Services have issued promising Winter forecasts.

From the first forecast, "The most compelling information we've noted is, in years where we have experienced an historically wet August (as we have this year), it was followed (90% of the time, or 18 out of 20 historically wet Augusts) by above normal precipitation for the remainder of the winter. In a few cases, we have seen extremely high rainfall amounts for the remainder of the winter. These years are also more likely than not to see at least one major snow event, possibly more. Some locations in Alaska have seen records warmth early this summer. If that pattern remains prevalent through the winter months, there is a greater than normal probability of abnormally cold air draining down from the arctic north."

http://www.ocs.oregonstate.edu/wint04/steve_forecast.html

The official Oregon State Climatalogist issued this, "All in all, we expect generally below-average temperatures during the first half of the season (Oct-Dec), with normal or somewhat above-average precipitation statewide. The second half of the year (Jan-Mar) should see above-average temperatures statewide and average or above-average precipitation (with western Oregon more likely to be above average). And watch for one or more extreme events this winter, particularly wind storms and rain storms.The best chance for extreme cold (and snow) should occur in December."

http://www.ocs.oregonstate.edu/wint04/04_05_forecast.html

And a summary of the third person's forecast who was initially just studying the probability of an extreme windstorm in the Willamete Valley:

"1) Snow and frigid temperatures seem a very real possibility this winter. December is the favored month for a potentially significant arctic outbreak, though it could be as late as February.

2) November and March may be particularly stormy.

3) October could be somewhat cool and damp.

4) A significant windstorm may occur--chances are deemed better than even."

http://www.ocs.oregonstate.edu/wint04/wolf_forecast.html

In addition to all of this the "Farmers' Almanac" predicts a "Wild Winter" see:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040830/ap_on_sc/farmers__almanac_8

In an attempt to thwart the bitterness from the RNC I'm cross-posting this message on TTips and TAY. I do realize a lot of folks read all 3 boards.

Edited by Gaper_Jeffy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Taylor has been right on the money in the past rolleyes.gif

I note that last summer he forecasted Oregon was due for an "extreme weather event". That January we had a record ice and snow storm.

As with all climatologists I'm sure he's been wrong a number of times. Only one of those forecasts is Taylor's.

• 2 months later...
I thought this would be appropriate to bump.

What kind of complaint email should we send to George Taylor? wink.gif

Have you been fondling the Adrenalins again? Petting the Dynafits?

Do something in the sun; quickest way for the snow to come is to act like you enjoy this kind of weather.

Have you been fondling the Adrenalins again? Petting the Dynafits?

All of the above. Plus I bought new skis today, they are green and sexy.

Do something in the sun; quickest way for the snow to come is to act like you enjoy this kind of weather.

Last Saturday I skied in the sun. Does that count?