cascadesurfers: need to borrow board...

Alex

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to rent too...the trade off is that you have to haul it with you....and do you have a wetsuit? Where are ya going? We're headed either to Lincoln City or Westport...depending on weather. I'd recommend a longboard, something over 8ft 6 or even 9 ft if its your first time. Go for the real fiberglass, not the styrofoam they try to sell you on for beginners....the styro boards will severely limit you and make you feel like you're riding a semi. You want something where you can actually feel the action of the wave but still maintain control laugh.gif PM me.

I am heading to cannon beach for the weekend. Yes, have wetsuit. I have surfed a few times before, on both fiberglass and that foamy type, both long and shorty boards, I def like fiberglass boards better, and have a hard time (because I'm a newb!) on the shorty boards. But I'd pretty much take anything if someone is willing to offer.

Alex

ig you get a chance, go up to Otter Rock....the surfing is better. Cannon Beach is beautiful but the waves are flat and you have to wait ages for them...Otter Rock is in a nice little cove wiht the E-W crossing it...you get pretty good waves and quite often...plus, its less crowded. Lincoln City surf shop has good deals on rentals...tell Mike (the owner) that you're friends with Nina and you might get a deal.

I use a black boat with white spots. As far as I know, sharks don't bother Orca whales!

Awesome surfing and I definitely enjoyed my first visit to the O coast. Surfed 3 days: Oceanside, Oswald West and Indian Beach.

Note: for begining ww kayakers, surfing is a great, safe, fun way to learn/practice combat rolls. If you don't make it, you just wash up on the beach vs getting screwed up in some log jam or floating down gnarly river!

Yeah I always ended up flipping about 50 times a day while kayak surfing. Definitely good rolling/bracing practice.

On the flip side, don't go out into the break if you can't roll. I had to rescue a guy who got stuck in a riptide, flipped, couldn't roll, and swam. It took me a long time to drag the dude to shore (it was a strong rip current), all the while getting pounded by the surf and having to roll with a guy holding on to my boat. Oh and he wasn't wearing a life jacket. rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah and watch out for surfers. They're defenseless. the_finger.gif

On the flip side, don't go out into the break if you can't roll. I had to rescue a guy who got stuck in a riptide, flipped, couldn't roll, and swam. It took me a long time to drag the dude to shore (it was a strong rip current), all the while getting pounded by the surf and having to roll with a guy holding on to my boat. Oh and he wasn't wearing a life jacket. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, there's always some idiots at the beach, eh? Worse thing about kayaking is being a class II paddler in class 3/4 water!

Great time down at Otter Rock as well! Waves were great on Saturday then flat on Sunday. Headed up to Cape Kiwanda and had some 6 foot swells until the early evening. Went to Cannon Beach on Monday and gave it a try but it was pretty flat so we went to Bill's Tavern and had some nice beer instead. Glad you all had fun! wave.gif

Went to Arch Cape Sat (rain, drizzle) and it was "flat". Indian Beach Sun with large waves outside that completely clobbered me everytime I tried one, so eventually I stayed in and surfed the whitewater. Monday I was too tired to watched surfing on OLN in the morning and went for a nice beach walk.

The cool thing about kayak surfing is when the surf gets that big, you can get some epic backflip poundings and then tell your friends it was an intentional rodeo move.

that's what happened the last time I got ravaged by the surf. My bud told me the boat was all the way out of the water cantfocus.gif

I think kayak surfin is a heck of a lot easier than surfing if you know how to roll. you can catch a lot more crashing waves too (if your timing sucks like mine)

many people been out to Westport? I've heard that's a popular place for surfers...

The cool thing about kayak surfing is when the surf gets that big, you can get some epic backflip poundings and then tell your friends it was an intentional rodeo move.

that's what happened the last time I got ravaged by the surf. My bud told me the boat was all the way out of the water cantfocus.gif

I think kayak surfin is a heck of a lot easier than surfing if you know how to roll. you can catch a lot more crashing waves too (if your timing sucks like mine)

many people been out to Westport? I've heard that's a popular place for surfers...

Thats the problem with Westport..its popular. thumbs_down.gif

So my ww boat is ooooooold school, much too long by today's standards, but still not a bad surfer. I actually felt the bow hit the sand once and ended up going straight up and over rodeo style. It was fun! I really enjoyed the modern boat the guys from Montana let me use at Indian Beach. It was actually designed for surfing in ocean waves.