Most mispronounced words in PNW climbing?

Jens

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quien Sabe is the nickname that Tonto gave to the Lone Ranger. Does that mean that that Lone Ranger knows nothing? In Spanish, Tonto means stupid. So, does this mean that the stupid is leading the dumb?

Are you thinking of Kemo Sabe?

Quien Sabe of course is Spanish for who knows. John Marshall Junior High School lore had it that Kemo Sabe was Indian speak for "Horse Shit".

you know what, after a 2hr lunch today, over 2 glasses of wine, spanish coffee bigdrink.gifcantfocus.gifwink.gif herring, gravlox, shrimp, prawns....in an environment that i am mostly alienated from, the fancyschmancy Terminal City Club, i'll agree to that beer! but if i find out you be feeding me codswallop, you'll be buying me back that beer mate. bigdrink.gif

Native names certainly are "fun". Lushootseed place names are largely bastardized anyway when we see them now. Nookachamps (Skagit County) was originally more like D'kwat?sabis. Puyallup (pew-al-up) was originally pwee-ahl-loop.

Get yourself a Chinook Jargon dictionary and start looking up place names. You'll never visit "Melakwa" anything, because you'll know better.

"Pilchuk River" is redundant.

I was once told "All the locals say 'McKinley', not 'Denali'". Perhaps the locals need to redefine "local"?

Edit: I forgot one. Reiter Rd - it should be pronounced "Writer" or maybe "Rider", but everyone says "Reeter".

I figured "Who knows how to pronounce Quien Sabe?" was a clever joke Geek_em8.gif

Edited by Carp

Anybody who has ever fished a crick knows, the differences between a creek and a crick are many.

A creek is a small river, gently flowing, with small pools and shady riffles that hold modest populations of excitable, innocent fish chasing bugs and gnats.

A crick staggers along like a drunk after closing time.

Full of snags, junk and the occasional wrecked car, a crick might hold fish, but they are shady characters who would rather bum a cigarette butt or relieve you of your wallet, and probably choke to death if they ate a real fly.