Most mispronounced words in PNW climbing?

Jens

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Data: dahta or DAY-tah?

It's DAY-tah dummy. Picard doesn't call him mister dahta after all.

On a related note, "data" is a collective plural, not singular, noun. One would correctly say "these data support the theory that..." rather than "this data supports the theory that..." A single piece of information is a "datum" or "data point", and all by itself doesn't support much of anything. "Datas" is not a word unless you're talking about these:

data.jpgdata.jpgdata.jpg

data.jpgdata.jpgdata.jpg

In which case "Lieutenant Commanders Data" would be the more correct plural from.

Does this post win the geek award of the day yet, or should I go on? Geek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifgrin.gif

arete (uh-rhet)

You almost can't go wrong here. <uh RHET>, <ahr ah TEE> and <uh REE tee> are all correct. It's all Greek to me. wink.gif

Clatskanie (town), Klaskanine (river) is a good matched set on the north Oregon coast.

When I lived in P-town I was asked more than once for directions to the "Willametty" river...

I love watching new TV weatherreaders. It's great imagining an entire county or city groaning in unison...

Folks in Verlot say <ver LOT>. Of course, folks out in Indiana refer to their hometown as <ver SAILS> (Versailles)...

-t