Best cellphone service?

QuincyTheClimbingDog

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a specific company to recommend (though AT&T Wireless seems to come through when a lot don't). However, one problem is the move to GSM networks. These so-called "next generation" phones operate at a different frequency than the usual TDMA phones that most people still have, and don't have nearly the coverage of the older ones. They typically work best on major highways and within metro areas. They are getting better, but if you can stick with your TDMA phone or get a multi-network phone, it might serve you better in an emergency. The wireless companies are offering unbelievable deals to get people to switch over to GSM. I actually made money by switching when the battery died on my old cell phone. I assume this is because it is cheaper for them to have everyone on the same network. Just something to be aware of. I'm sure the coverage will improve eventually, but as it is right now, my GSM phone is fairly worthless as an emergency tool in the mountains.

I 2nd Iain's thoughts. AT&T works well for me, but I make sure my hardware will access both digital and analog towers. Being able to access some of the older analog towers in the more remote areas can make all the difference between getting service or not.

Most cell systems perform about the same in urban areas.

I don't take my phone in the backcountry (why?), so I don't know how it works there.

Usually you hear this from someone who has not yet experienced a serious climbing accident. I don't take one a lot of times either, but when it has been needed, it may have made the difference between life or death for some people. It also stops rescues from happening unnecessarily when overdue.

Since you mentioned the Cascades and the Olympics, I can only assume you want a phone that actually has a chance of working in more remote areas. And that means your options are limited to pretty much just AT&T or Verizon, since they're the only ones with any remaining analog networks. But they won't make it easy for you to get a phone or plan that lets you use the analog (or at least AT&T will make it very difficult; not sure about Verizon).

Despite their aggressive push into GSM, I'm hanging on to my AT&T TDMA/analog phone for as long as possible, just for potential emergency mountain use. A few weeks ago I was on a climb of Bonanza, and was told not to bother bringing a cell phone, because it wouldn't be of any use out there anyway. But I did a test, and got 3 out of 4 bars of analog signal strength from the summit.

The big downside is that around town, AT&T is switching their network over from TDMA to GSM at an incredible rate, and my regular urban cell phone experience is suffering. But I can live with that; the possibility of use in the mountains is more important to me.

I don't take my phone in the backcountry (why?), so I don't know how it works there.

Usually you hear this from someone who has not yet experienced a serious climbing accident. I don't take one a lot of times either, but when it has been needed, it may have made the difference between life or death for some people. It also stops rescues from happening unnecessarily when overdue.

Or, it's simply the ethic they've chosen.

In my experience, ethics go out the window when someone is lying bleeding in the snow. You don't feel self-sufficient. You feel helpless and scared because they need advanced life support immediately, and now you have to climb/hike out for hours just to get the show started. Cell phones have given climbers on Liberty Ridge a chance to live. Telling relatives that someone died because of ethics seems somewhat unacceptable. I doubt they would understand that.

Again, I don't religiously bring one, but you have no chance of helping someone with more than minor trauma in the field. You need help, and it is very difficult to leave someone out there overnight while you go to get it.

Isn't it the case that all cellphones, even without a carrier can still access the networks to dial 911?

I've been thinking about getting a different phone that would be suitable for emergency use in the mountains (my GSM phone won't work in very obvious places like volcanos), but if this worked I could just pick up an old phone off ebay. anyone know?

Whatever Iain. We'll see how self-righteous you are in person, you little fuck.

I'm just saying what has happened to me. I used to think like you do, that whatever happens in the wilderness, I'll deal with it, forget the phone. Experience has shown that I was overconfident in this regard. I'm not insulting you. You have already done so well-enough in the above quote.

Jesus Greg, I didn't take Iain's post as self-righteous. I understood him as offering a different perspective. Did you run out of fabric softener again?

Iain--I may be misinformed, but shortly before I went to Prague last winter I looked into upgrading my phone. Since I travel to Europe so often I was looking at aquiring a phone that operated on the Euro band as well as the US band. Its my understanding the Euros use GSM--this may be where I am mistaken though. At the time, phones were available that accessed GSM, digital and analog (without switching out the SIM card) but the cost was prohibitive.

Yeah I think Europe has had GSM for a long time and US is now switching over. It would be a nice setup to have, as long as it doesn't just sit there for hours trying to hold a weak GSM signal when there is a strong TDMA one to use. That seemed to be the case with TDMA phones and analog. Even worse is when you get into the situation where the phone can check in with the cell site which broadcasts out at higher wattage, but the second you try to make a call, it drops when the phone can't transmit that far. It will be really cool when phones can link together as digital repeaters.

Jesus Greg, I didn't take Iain's post as self-righteous. I understood him as offering a different perspective. Did you run out of fabric softener again?

Well, actually, I don't use fabric softener as it can be harsh on the skin. I prefer to use the moisture sensor dryer setting on Permanent Press and then make sure I am right there to pull the clothes out so they don't wrinkle.

With the exception of finding a TDMA(tdma digital and analog) or GAIT (GSM 800mhz 1900mhz,TDMA and analog)phone from AT&T, which is becoming increasingly difficult. Your only true option for a phone the roams from digital to analog networks is unfortunantly Verizon wireless.

As for the AT&T options the TDMA spectrum is being moved over to GSM as user migration from one to the other occurs and service is suffering in Metro areas (possibly on purpose). The GAIT phones are not user friendly and have a few flaws, but one could get a GAIT phone and only use it when going to urban areas and switch the SIM card in the phone to a more practicle GSM phone in the city.

The Verizon option allows you any phone verizon currently sells and you can travel on any analog network and compatable CDMA networks as well. This would give you the most access for least hassle (expect for dealing with verizon customer service but they all need help there...)

Keep in mind there are going to be places where one works and another doesnt, and it could be the one with the least total coverage that works there.

And before you ask, yes, I did at one point work in the wireless industry.

Isn't it the case that all cellphones, even without a carrier can still access the networks to dial 911?

I've been thinking about getting a different phone that would be suitable for emergency use in the mountains (my GSM phone won't work in very obvious places like volcanos), but if this worked I could just pick up an old phone off ebay. anyone know?

I believe it is the case. I know I can call ATT Customer service from any att cell, regardless or not if it's been activated, so I'd bet 911 works too.

regarding getting ahold of old TDMA phones, I see them on EBay for $10 often, and at thrift shops on occasion. I stocked up on them by sending an email around a company I used to work for, asking for any old ATT phones people had collecting dust in a desk drawer. I got 4 or 5 within a week!

Won't a tri-mode phone take care of the problems experienced by the conversion of TDMA to GSM?

No tri-mode for GSM means the phone works for all the three GSM frequency bands (i.e. your phone will work in europe and asia too).

However I do think you can call 911 even if your phone doesnt have coverage. I know that whenever I try to dial a number from my t-mobile phone when there is no coverage, it says 'can not make non-emergency calls' or something like that. So if that is true, I am happy with GSM...