One Day Cascade Summit for Challenger Failures

eternalX

We failed to summit Challenger and we have one day (maybe tonight and Thursday) to summit something else in the Cascades. I have two friends in (onoe from Phoenix and another from Milwaukee) and we're looking for something unique to the region and hopefully something where we can use our ice axe. Was thinking Shuksan (Sulphide) or West Ridge Forbidden. Any better ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

East ridge of Eldo is kinda wierd because you can scramble up the 3rd/4th class rock on the ridge proper (just south of the "east ridge" snow route) and get to the top much faster. It makes the snow route seem kind of contrived. Summit ridge sure is cool though.

With this crappy weather forecast and a freezing level of 6000', you will probably want to reconsider your plans.

The snow ridge on Eldo looks real grey now in places. As in alpine ice. It even has a crack or two. So yeah, I think you'll need your axe. Maybe even, God forbid, some pickets or screws if your partners are new to this game. And the glacier itself is heavily melted and grey in many places.

Even Sahale looks icy, though certainly doable.

Be safe; stay dry.

Sharp

I have two friends in (onoe from Phoenix and another from Milwaukee) and we're looking for something unique to the region and hopefully something where we can use our ice axe.

For any serious snow climb I would strongly suggest picking up two more ice axes so that each of you can have your own.

I have two friends in (onoe from Phoenix and another from Milwaukee) and we're looking for something unique to the region and hopefully something where we can use our ice axe.

For any serious snow climb I would strongly suggest picking up two more ice axes so that each of you can have your own.

yellaf.gif

With the bad forecast we ended up going up to Cascade Crags and trying out the ice wall. Took them a long time to set everything up but it was a lot of fun.

Thanks all.