France did good

fenderfour

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true ----

Cecile Pozzo di Borgo, spokeswoman of the French Foreign Ministry..[dit]. [T]he spokeswoman reiterated her country's call for efforts to seek a "political solution" to the Iraqi crisis, adding that "the organization of free and democratic elections would permit to get together conditions of a real political and economic reconstruction of Iraq". France has opposed the US-led Iraq war and has no troops in Iraq.

This suggests that the French diplomats are attempting to link the release of the French hostages to changes in the method and manner in which the Iraqi elections will be held. The mere fact that France is negotiating implictly means there will be a quid for the quo.

Paying tribute is all part of the nuanced foreign policy of former great states. But whether the French ante up with secret political concessions or payouts, the result will be the same. More Americans and Iraqis will die as the price of French appeasement.

Yet the French will not escape the carnivorous attentions of the terrorists in the end. Promises by blackguards are made to be broken. The trick is to know that and the French have forgotten. Americans at least, have old Arnold Schwarzennegger movies to remind them.His character in the 1985 movie Commando holds a villain by the ankle over a cliff and this bit of dialogue ensues:

Arnold to thug: "Hey Sully, remember when I promised to kill you last?"

Thug: "Yeah, man! You said that!"

Arnold drops the man.

Arnold: "I lied."

Lets try and keep in mind that we have 2 somewhat seperate issues here.

France hasn't drawn the ire of Muslims for their stand on Iraq, but they have pissed them off all on their own with the ban on headscarves in french school classrooms.

Don't forget that the US has quite a history of running away from terrorists. If you doubt me look up the events around the bombing of the marines in Beruit. Who was president you may ask...that tough macho republican Ronald Reagan.

My point wasn't the French, it was the lengths that the terrorists would go to in order to get whatever they want.

1. Banning headscarves is ridiculous.

2. Killing innocent people because someone else banned headscarves is even more ridiculous.

I think that this has happened because the terrorists have seen at least one country yield to their pressure. Now that they know their tactics will work, where will it end?

I think we can now see what kind of people we are really dealing with here.

which people are we dealing with here? do we really know? moreover, was there ever any doubts about the nature of fundamentalist extremists?

Yeah, they just want the US out of Iraq, right...

it is what the immense majority of iraqis want. the sooner it's done, the lesser the legitimacy for extremists.

One has to be amazed at the brilliance of PP's post. perhaps he should blame the neocons instead of the french for the death of american troops. but i must say that quoting an aaahhhnold hollywood script to justify warmongering takes the cake. moon.gif

One has to be amazed at the brilliance of PP's post. perhaps he should blame the neocons instead of the french for the death of american troops. but i must say that quoting an aaahhhnold hollywood script to justify warmongering takes the cake. moon.gif

LOL You are such a goofball. Hey who's that on TV - soon to walk to the podium - why it's...it's......

Ahhhhnold!

yelrotflmao.gif