What did you do this weekend?

Dave_Schuldt

Saturday- CPOly and I went to Static Point, it was super wet so we hiked up to the rock and looked around. Got totaly soaked by the brush. He had never been to the UW Rock so we hung out there for a while.

Sunday- Ken4ord and I did a 50 mole road ride on Whidbey Island. Some drizzle otherwise a great ride. Paco was going to go but he had a broken spoke.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ran the Timberline Trail on Mt. Hood on Saturday. Running through paradise park in the early morning is a spiritual experience. Finishing the run up White River Canyon is a different kind of spiritual experience. The watch log reads 9900' total gain/loss, with 8 laps. I spent a solid 45 minutes running through talus, searching for the trail across the muddy fork of the Sandy. Quite a bit of flood damage evident on some stream crossings from last week. Then I ran out of food. Took about 11hrs and change.

Went on my first multipitch climb in Leavenworth and climbed Givlers Dome with Selkirk, Dryad, and Hilweasel. WOW! (that doesn't even begin to explain it....what a great time!)
What she didn't say was that I and my own group of newbies jumped on the route Snowbyrd and company was going to do- R and D Route. We had said we would do Givler's. I just pulled off for a second to point out R and D to my friends and they all called out, "We want to do that one".

As we started up the route we saw Bird, Nymph, Selkirk and the Weasle cruise by look up and continue down the road. Glad they had a good time on Givler's.

I teamed up with my friend Scott's daughter Linnea while Scott teamed with the daughter's boyfriend Chris. Neither of the two young people had ever done any multipitch trad climbing. In fact, the young lady had never cleaned gear before. It was all new to her, but Linnea did fantastic.

Since we had so much fun on R and D, we decided to go to Castle Rock since none of my friends had ever been there. We jumped right on Saber. There was a shiny new B/D #10 stopper fixed in a crack, so I clipped it and moved on to the belay. There, I met a woman belaying her partner. I noticed she was tied in only with a nylon daisy chain and not the rope. She said she and her partner, Justin had just moved out from North Carolina and mentioned that she hadn't been able to clean a nut on the last pitch. I told her if my partner could clean it, I'd give it back to her. Sure enough, Linnea came up with the stuck piece! No one told her it was "stuck" so she worked it out. Good girl!

I met up with the other woman at the next belay and gave the stopper back to her. Someone left a helmet near our packs and we think it was Justin.

I stayed up for 40 hrs between work and acting as "support" for my roommates bike race. its a 24 hr mtn bike race. 7-8mile course. I was up all night feeding him gu and cytomax, making sure his delerium stayed under control and rooting him on. He was in 2nd place (as a solo rider) until the last lap, he bonked. All he had to do was walk his bike one more lap and he would have stayed in second. heat exhaustion and stomach cramps kept him from doing the 15th lap, bringing him down to 4th. He did great...considering he has never done more than 9 or 10 laps in the race of the past 4 yrs!rockband.gif

Today I did some sport climbing. I took my first BIG whipper....20+ feet.shocked.gif Im all good, but wuz a bit shaken and having issues of it replaying in my mind when I try to lay down and sleep.mad.gif "This too shall pass". Fantastic day, tho...led 3 climbs 1 grade harder than Ive ever done in the past! thumbs_up.gif

Hiked up to the upper Enchantments on Friday. Bailed on the plan to climb Stuart due to weather and anticipated snow. Headed up the Colchuck Lake trail, considering a solo of Colchuck North Buttress which is reputed to be class 3 to 4. From below it looked not very pleasant, more like 4th to 5th class, chossy. I debated soloing this but thought better of it and headed up Aasgard instead. Quite a crowd was heading up the trail. I bypassed the llama train by scrambling the slabs on climber's right-- much more fun and interesting, highly recommended if you don't happen to have a heavy pack. Cloud ceiling was at about 8500 all day, but no rain. Went up Little Annapurna and Witches Tower. Saw that as expected Stuart had new snow on the upper reaches. Admired the views, pondering that the upper Enchantments are something like God's own Zen garden, with vanished glaciers taking the role of the sand rake. No new snow in the Enchantments at all. Brought crampons and a whippet but didn't need either.

Edited by Norman_Clyde

Went shopping for a snugtop.gif to replace the motorcycle that I put down on Thursday cry.gif Some guy decided that I didn't need to be riding anymore and pulled across my path. Stuffed the bike under the back of his car, I ejected myself out behind the rear of his car. I was wearing full gear including gore-tex rain pants with cordura in strategic spots. Luckily it was in the right spots. Only blood was from a skinned knee. Feel thoroughly beat up now though.

Friday: Morning conference of would be Slesse-seigers decided weather forecast was not good enough. We went caving instead. cool.gif

Saturday: Watched Olympics. Drove to Ingalls Lake Trailhead in late evening.

Sunday: Climbed west ridge of Stuart with AlpineDave. rockband.gif Check his website in a couple of days for the TR and details on our new speed record laugh.gif. Saw cascadeclimber and Pandora in the parking lot. wave.gif

After climbing and drinking a lot with Snowbyrd and company, Hillweasel and I went to Index on Sunday afternoon and climbed GNS and a nice hand crack next to it. This was my first time at Index. Woo hoo! laugh.gif

We got the rope stuck after the first rap, but luckily we ran into Skykilo and friend who were heading up as we were going down and they freed our rope. Thanks guys! Hope you liked the beer. bigdrink.gif

Went on my first multipitch climb in Leavenworth and climbed Givlers Dome with Selkirk, Dryad, and Hilweasel. WOW! (that doesn't even begin to explain it....what a great time!)

note snowbyrd you were climbing granitic rock.

my weekend...moving stuff from my parents house, taking it easy, lots of drinking...some dancing... no time for climbing yet. cry.gifbigdrink.gif

Attempt to climb in Darrington on Saturday. Get totally soaked from the brush on the approach. Come home, sleep, watch "Hero", sleep some more.

Sunday wake up and realize that my bike has a broken spoke. Call Dave and bail out of planned road ride. Drink coffee and wait for bike shop to open. Replace spoke and change smaller chain ring. Climb like shit at Stone Gardens so I road around Mercer Island.

No climbing for this gaper. frown.gif

worked on Sat morning. rode my bike on Sat afternoon, bought a cyclometer. my climbing partners all bailed on Sunday and so I rode around Mercer to check the distance with my new widget. 31.3 miles door-to-door. Hung out with great girl friends each night. All-in-all a great weekend. cool.gif

Friday was part of the Slesse conference. After about two hour of playing with Alpinfox's gyro ball thingy we decided to go caving. frown.gif I was bummed that I couldn't get my fat ass past one squeeze, came close in the four or five tries, then I get tired and a little freaked.

Saturday played auto mechanic and worked on the Jeep still got a little more to do, but was able to get a lot of maintenance done that needed to be.

Sunday, went with Dave to Whidbey Island and rode fifty moles. It was crazy, for one, those fuckers can't see a damn thing they were all over the place and trying to get fifty moles to work together was difficult. All in all it was a good though yellaf.gif.