GODZILLA: WHY IM HARD

Godzilla we have defeated you in every film to the point where you serve your human masters. You are left stranded on Monster Island which is as puny as you. I've third classed you to get to the real climbing above. In a few thousand years your flakes will be buried under the earth while sport climbers will sending the new routes exposed by your demise! [Cool]

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Quoth GODZILLA:

SPORTOS: THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WWF WRESTLING AND REAL WRESTLING BECAUSE THE MOVES ARE REHEARSED TIME AND TIME AGAIN AND THERE IS LITTLE CHANCE OF REAL STRUGGLE OR INJURY. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPORT CLIMBING AND REAL CLIMBING IS SIMILAR IF YOU PRACTICE EVERY MOVE FOR YEARS, WORK THE SEQUENCES ON THE GROUND FOR HOURS AND LEAVE YOUR PRO HANGING ON THE ROCK FOR CLIPPING EASE. MY GRANDMA AND DWAYNERS GRANDMA WORK 5.12 ALL DAY

REDMONK: DO NOT ASSUME THE DIFFICULTIES BEFORE YOU HAVE CLIMBED. I AM MUCH HARDER THAN PRINCELY AMBITIONS (WHAT A GAY NAME). I AM HARD BUT I AM STILL ONLY 5.9. YOU HAVE DEFEATED ME ONCE, BUT I AM SURE THAT IF YOU CONTINUE CLIMBING FOR LONG YOU WILL EVENTUALLY END UP HANGING FROM MY STEEP SIDES.

SPEAKING OF GAY NAMES: DR. FLASH AMAZING

Your irradiated synapses have clearly ceased firing properly. If you had ever tried anything harder than climbing out of the ocean to eat Tokyo and stomp Toyotas, you'd quickly learn that hard sport climbs, although doable after working the moves, are still quite hard. That's why there are 600 people waiting around to TR 5 Gallon Buckets, and only 6 people waiting to send Churning.

And speaking of gay names, what the fuck is "Godzilla" s'posed to mean, anyway?

DFA hopes you get bum-plowed by Mothra and Rodan, you dumb-ass lizard.

Godzilla would be hard if it wasn't for the big rest stances and stems you get every 10ft. Antd the many cracks you have to choose from depending on what size hands you have...

5.9 sure, but by yosemite standards, it's not at all sustained.

Very cool climb though.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

Some time ago JayB suggested that perhaps you didn’t climb hard and that may be influencing your viewpoint

While I normally come down squarely on PP's side on these things, I should clarify my old point a bit. I believe this was in a thread where I got annoyed by Dwayner's comments about bouldering, and suggested that if he attempted anything at half the grade that the guys featured in the story were sending, he'd probably be better able to appreciate the power and skill involved at leading edge bouldering. He replied with something to the effect that boulering just wasn't his deal and he could rip on it all he wanted without ever becoming proficient at it, for aesthetic reasons if nothing else, and that's where we left it. While it may have come off otherwise, my intent was not to suggest that he did not or could not climb hard, because until now I didn't have any idea what he had climbed, and there was a strong chance that his burliest trad leads were quite a bit tougher than mine - though that's hardly an exclusive club. Anyone who has lead 5.12 trad is, in my opinion, one bad mofo.

Maybe it's just the "new school" in me [laf] , but I've always thought that a sense of shame or a desire to avert embarassment, if nothing else, should keep you from talking shit about someone who is better than you at whatever it is you're discussing. So if we're talking about bouldering and the hardest boulder problem you have completed, or were capable of completing at the moment, is a V1 you'd really have no business talking smack about Fred Nicole. Same goes for trad, alpine, ice, or any other sub-discipline of climbing that you particpate in.

:Warning - rant that follows really doesn't have much to do with content of this thread, and isn't directed at any particular person - just a phenomenon I've noticed. Read on if bored or incarcerated:

I suppose that's one of the things that I've never understood about some of the spray(ers) on this site. Take a guy like Lambone for instance (though it could be anyone who gets out on hard stuff) - does grade V free routes, big aid routes like The Shield, long alpine routes, leads WI-*$#ing-5, etc - yet there are people out there who think that the fact that they have some business calling this guy a pussy because he clips bolts and they don't, regardless of what grade they lead at the trad-crags. Amazing. This despite the fact that I'd be willing to bet that 98% of the folks that chime in about sport climbing as the definitive route to wussdom would likely be shut down in a massive way - think not even making it to the first bolt - trying to follow his hardest sport leads - and let's not even talk about the WI5 stuff.

I suspect it's just the anonymity of the internet at work once again. It's been said before that the tone on this board would be much less harsh if people pretended that they were talking face to face, rather than over an anonymous medium. I agree with that and have tried to live the credo, though I suppose we all fall short at times. I have another one to add - before making negative comments about one of your fellow climbers, imagine yourself at the base of the hardest route they're capable of leading at the moment - with an audience. The rack is in your hands and it's your lead. Still feel like talking? If not, maybe consider easing up on the spray a bit. Just a thought....

JayB if I could respectively disagree for a minnit here, I dont belive you have to climb at a certain grade to criticize ethics. For instance, I can say chipping holds on a blank wall to make a 5.14 is unethical and that the chipped holds should be "repaired" with cement or whatever, even if I'm only a 5.7 climber. The principle of the thing is the same no matter what grade you climb at. Same goes with criticizing bolts being placed next to usable gear placements, the principle is the same no matter if its a 5.7 or 5.14 gear route being retrobolted.

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

Remember our dear departed CrazyPolishBob? He was an obnoxious prick but he claimed to climb 5.13's or something. According to your standards noone here could flame him (or 86 him).

Chuck - That, I have to admit, is one badass lego creation.

Also, since you did me a favor and took the time to point out a couple of elements within my post that I either didn't explain very well, or could be easily misconstrued I'll return to your post once more. Hopefully I'll do a better job explaining myself this (last)time.

AS far as CPB is concerned, I wasn't suggesting that anyone should refrain from commenting on his etiquette, his spelling, his hair, his taste in sushi, or anything else simply because he reputedly climbs some seriously hard shit. What I was trying to say though, is that in my opinion no one has any business calling the guy a weak-ass climber unless their own abilities and accomplishments as a climber exceed CPB's. Walk the walk before you talk the talk. It's an old cliche', and consequently not a very new idea. It's also one that might just improve the tone of the discussion around here from time to time, or at least I think so. That's all.

[ 08-21-2002, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: JayB ]

Well if that's what you mean then I don't get your point. I don't recall any cc.commies calling anyone a "weakassed climber". Has Dwayner ever called Lambone or Peter Puget lousy climbers? I don't recall that ever happening.

If you do, please point it out. I'm sure it would be entertaining reading.

I understand your point, but I just don't see how it relates to cc.com. What you seem to have a beef with is guys like Dwayner bagging on sportos when he's not a sporto. And that's a whole different argument.

quote:

Originally posted by Ropegun2002:

This thread is about as long as the Muir Hut smokefest and just as stupid. (hilarious as well)

Jon & Timmy: Once a topic exceeds a specific number of pages, is it possible for the topic to automatically change to "muir on saturday"?

Greg W

ChucK Quote: "I don't recall any cc.commies calling anyone a "weakassed climber"

And isn't "I don't recall" what martha Stewart will be saying pretty soon? Now the literal "weakassed climber" may be true but words to that effect certainly. Words more offensive than that certainly.

Damn if Icould leave my shadowy cover behind I'd bet you the PC tab on this one.

quote:

ChucK Quote: "I don't recall any cc.commies calling anyone a "weakassed climber"

And isn't "I don't recall" what martha Stewart will be saying pretty soon? Now the literal "weakassed climber" may be true but words to that effect certainly. Words more offensive than that certainly.

Damn if Icould leave my shadowy cover behind I'd bet you the PC tab on this one.

I've been in the midst of some serious spray and flame-age and have never seen someone's climbing ability denegrated (ChucK, I'll post definition if you like [smile] ) during such an exchange. Just about every other name in the book, but no knocks on climbing ability.

Greg W (I aid 4th class)

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

I hear that works really well on routes ove 90 degrees...
[Roll Eyes]

Yes you hang-on with one hand and drill with the other. If you get pumped you fall off and must lead back up to your high point to continue drilling.

Just A little Corner (12c) in the Needles of S Dakota was put up in this fashion by a 61 year old man.

Yes, words more offensive than that. BUT, those don't relate to climbing ability.

Your whole revised premise is that specifically someone with lesser climbing ability should not question specifically the climbing ability of their better. It has nothing to do with the use of derogatory name-calling unless it relates to climbing ability right?

Are you saying that it's OK or not OK to call someone an asshole or a dork based on whether they climb better than you or not? I don't think so.

You should just stick to your other premise that people on this site should just treat each other with the respect one would give to someone in close striking distance. This is a reasonable suggestion. It has nothing to do with climbing or climbing ability.

edit

oops, it looks like I attributed PP's quote to JayB in my brain. So the above probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

Peter Puget,

What's this fascination with the Pub Club now? You want David to pick the music, you want me to pick up the tab? Why don't you just show up. I'm beginning to think you might be Trask or something?

[ 08-21-2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: chucK ]

quote:

You should just stick to your other premise that people on this site should just treat each other with the respect one would give to someone in close striking distance. This is a reasonable suggestion.

I agree. This is why I am fully committed to calling Trask a limp-dicked, knock-kneed, farm animal buggerer to his face, if I ever meet him. [big Grin]

Greg W

quote:

Yes, words more offensive than that. BUT, those don't relate to climbing ability.

Your whole revised premise is that specifically someone with lesser climbing ability should not question specifically the climbing ability of their better. It has nothing to do with the use of derogatory name-calling unless it relates to climbing ability right?

Are you saying that it's OK or not OK to call someone an asshole or a dork based on whether they climb better than you or not? I don't think so.

You should just stick to your other premise that people on this site should just treat each other with the respect one would give to someone in close striking distance. This is a reasonable suggestion. It has nothing to do with climbing or climbing ability.

edit

oops, it looks like I attributed PP's quote to JayB in my brain. So the above probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

Peter Puget,

What's this fascination with the Pub Club now? You want David to pick the music, you want me to pick up the tab? Why don't you just show up. I'm beginning to think you might be Trask or something?

But now I can nicely flame you with insults!

I would love to be Trask! Please confuse me withhim all of the time.

Ok If I am really bored tonight I'll find some insults I know I have recieved a few.

Fscination with PC? Well DS goes, so that why I brought it up in regard to him. And as a scientist I knew you could imagine large numbers but for the others I thought the PC tab might in their minds be as large as they coudl imagine. And how do you know I haven't been to a PC?

quote:

And how do you know I haven't been to a PC?

You're sounding more like Trask ("how do you know I'm not a climber") every post. And I wasn't talking about the Pub Clubs at Hooters.

You imply that you've been to a pub club...are you Allison! [Confused]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

I hear that works really well on routes ove 90 degrees...
[Roll Eyes]

Yes you hang-on with one hand and drill with the other. If you get pumped you fall off and must lead back up to your high point to continue drilling.

Just A little Corner (12c) in the Needles of S Dakota was put up in this fashion by a 61 year old man.

nothing at the needles is overhanging, and i'd like to see you hand drill a bolt with one hand [laf][Roll Eyes] kinda like the sound of one hand clapping.