Perserverance is Captivating ....

BreezyD

Aron Ralston Completes 100-mile Race In Mountains

The Associated Press

Updated: 3:44 p.m. ET

Aug. 24, 2004

LEADVILLE, Colo. - A little over a year after cutting of his arm to save his life during a solo hike in Utah, Aspen adventurer Aron Ralston has completed a grueling 100-mile race at over 10,000 feet elevation.

More than 400 runners began the Leadville Trail race before dawn on Saturday, racing through hail and lightning at times, but fewer than half officially completed the race. Some dropped out because of nausea and cramps and others weren't able to cross the finish line within the 30-hour time limit.

Ralston, an official finisher with a time of 29:43, said he got sick after eating an onion sandwich but continued running despite feeling nauseated.

Paul DeWitt of Colorado Springs won the men's race for the second straight year with a time of 17:16:19. Anthea Schmid of Crested Butte was the first woman to finish, with a time of 23:30:43.

Volunteers at aid stations peeled bananas for Ralston, who previously had only run in 5K races.

"I felt in good balance," he said. "I helped one gentleman who took a spill."

His mother Donna Ralston was waiting at the finish line to give him a hug.

Last April Ralston was hiking alone, negotiating a canyon in southeastern Utah when his right arm became pinned beneath an 800-pound boulder. After other failed attempts, he freed himself on the fifth day by snapping his bones and using a knife to cut through his arm.

He applied a tourniquet and clambered out of the canyon. After a six-mile hike, he found tourists who flagged down a helicopter.

Since then he has learned to play the piano one-handed, climbed 14,000-foot-tall Colorado mountains alone and returned to skiing and mountain biking.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a great picture of Aron Ralston in Outside Magazine, where he has an ice tool attached to his prosthetic arm. It looks like something customized for alpine climbing.

I've also seen a picture of him climbing a 5.10 rock climb with a hook attached to his arm. Probably no one gives him grief about whether the climb was free or aid...

That guy is amazing. thumbs_up.gif

Since then he has learned to play the piano one-handed, climbed 14,000-foot-tall Colorado mountains alone and returned to skiing and mountain biking.

I don't think I'd try road biking one-handed, let alone moutain biking. Everything I hear about him just impresses me more and more...