Paul Hamm

Spliffy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To go along with the other medals he didn't really earn, Paul Hamm was just inadvertantly given the gold medal in the womens 1000m flat-water kayaking, and now he is refusing to give it back. Another reason to be ashamed to be an American...

No way, dude. Paul Hamm earned his medal. Yeah, there was a scoring error against the Koreans, but they didn't catch it in time. For that matter, the Korean's routine had a mandatory deduction that got overlooked by the judges, which would have cost him more points than the 0.1 he lost.

Sure, had the competition been on another day, the medalists could very much have turned out differently -- such is the nature of gymnastics. What if Paul Hamm didn't fuck up the vault? Would he have won by a landside then? Or would he not have had as incredible performances on the parallel and high bars?

Paul Hamm is no reason to be ashamed to be an American. If you want to be ashamed to be a Russian, look at cry-baby sour loser Svetlana Korkhina, who insists she lost the competition because the judges planned to give it to the AMericans from the start. I bet she's blaming her fall on the uneven bars on the Americans.

It's still not Hamm's fault. It is the judges faults. Just because a Canadian and a Malaysian can't grade correctly is no fault to Paul Hamm. Paul Hamm earned his medal in the all-around, was given a mdeal last night (I felt the Russian still had a better routine than Paul), and the Koreans continue to cry like little babies snugtop.gif

Do people give back World Cup Titles when goals are scored in an illegal manner? I don'tthink so. There isn't instant replay for a reason, the Koreans had their shot at filing a complaint when the score came out, and he and his coaches were too stupid to realize the error. They blew it! Not Paul Hamm!

Oy, gevalt! That was such a lame deal. Russian guy spent more time flipping and spinning through the air, huge-like no less, than he did touching the bar. He should have posted like a 9.9 for that action. Seems like there have been a lot of little and not-so-little scoring inconsistencies in gymnastics. Like the Greek guy winning on the rings the other night? Hello? Not even close to gold-worthy.

Piss on lame judges. thumbs_down.gif

The judging was crazy from beginning to end: giving the exact same score to four people in a row, refusing to award a perfect score, not rewarding gymnasts who pushed the envelope, changing scores, and on and on -- the scoring seemed almost arbitrary!

I was impressed by Alexi Nemov's decorum, tact, and respect following his highbar routine. thumbs_up.gif

Like the Greek guy winning on the rings the other night? Hello? Not even close to gold-worthy.

Yeah, there was a dude [can't remember the nationality] who had a much better rings routine. The Greek dude, along with the rest of the competitors, would hold their poses for barely the required two seconds. The dude who I thought should have won was holding his poses for at least three seconds.

Like the Greek guy winning on the rings the other night? Hello? Not even close to gold-worthy.

Yeah, there was a dude [can't remember the nationality] who had a much better rings routine. The Greek dude, along with the rest of the competitors, would hold their poses for barely the required two seconds. The dude who I thought should have won was holding his poses for at least three seconds.

You mean the really burly Bulgarian dude with no neck? Yeah, he was badass.

Do people give back World Cup Titles when goals are scored in an illegal manner? I don'tthink so. There isn't instant replay for a reason, the Koreans had their shot at filing a complaint when the score came out, and he and his coaches were too stupid to realize the error. They blew it! Not Paul Hamm!

Good point. 1986, World Cup in Mexico- Diego Maradona of Argentina scored against England with his infamous "Hand of God". Everybody was pissed off but nobody sought to reverse the score. I'm getting really sick of these Olympics with news everyday about some bitter athlete protesting this or that. Shit happens. Be angry and use that anger to get ready for the next competition.

The professional world of athletics is turning into a sissy bunch of whiners where nobody can take things on the chin and act graciously. I know that this might be an unpopular theory but I believe that this environment of appeal and litigation stems from the U.S. - first in business then into politics and now has poisoned the sporting world. Big money in athletics obviously has a lot to do with it too I suppose.

If this crap doesn't stop, people are going to turn off their tellys because their "heroes" act like spoiled little shitbags instead of examples for kids that they ought to be.

Paul Hamm should quietly take his gold medal over to his South Korean competitor's quarters and present it to him in exchange for the bronze. Paul Hamm did not win. His gold medal will always be stamped with an asterisk and is now only worth it's spot-price. He should do the honorable thing and present it to its rightful owner.

Paul Hamm should quietly take his gold medal over to his South Korean competitor's quarters and present it to him in exchange for the bronze. Paul Hamm did not win. His gold medal will always be stamped with an asterisk and is now only worth it's spot-price. He should do the honorable thing and present it to its rightful owner.

If the Korean's score really should have been ahead of Paul Hamm's, Paul would have gotten the silver, not the bronze. And whoever had gotten the silver originally would now be getting the bronze.